Allstate Agent Shawn Smoot Suspect In Murder Investigation

Use this forum to tell us about your worst adjuster, and your worst adjuster experience.

Allstate Agent Shawn Smoot Suspect In Murder Investigation

Unread postby RatPak11 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:11 pm

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/oct/1 ... arched-in/

Knoxville insurance executive's home searched in Roane murder probe
By Bob Fowler
Knoxville News Sentinel
Posted October 19, 2011 at 4 a.m.

A Knox County insurance executive who allegedly repeatedly threatened to kill a young paramour is a "person of interest" in the shooting death of the 23-year-old Powell woman, authorities said Tuesday.

Brooke Nicole Morris's body was found on a rural Roane County road Saturday evening. She had been shot three times, Roane County District Attorney General Russell Johnson said.

Officials on Sunday executed a search warrant on Shawn Smoot's Gettysvue Way residence, looking for evidence in connection with the slaying.

"He is definitely the person getting the most attention," Roane County Sheriff Jack Stockton said Tuesday of Smoot. Johnson hesitated to describe Smoot as a suspect but called him a "person of interest."

Smoot is an Allstate Insurance agent and operates the Shawn Smoot Agency near the corner of Kingston Pike and Lovell Road. Efforts to contact him for comment — both at his office and home — were unsuccessful Tuesday.

An order of protection that Morris filed against Smoot last winter in Knox County Fourth Circuit Court led authorities to focus on Smoot, Johnson said.

In that order, Morris calls Smoot her "ex-boyfriend and boss" and describes incidents in November where Smoot twice attacked her, once ripping her sweater and bra off while they were in his truck.

"He told me he would kill me if I told his wife he was cheating on her," Morris wrote in the order of protection.

Morris stated that on Jan. 5 while Smoot was in her home, "Shawn strangled me with his hands around my neck until I became light-headed and could not breathe."

"Shawn is out of control and violent," the order states. Morris wrote that Smoot's wife learned about their affair. "Shawn told me he had been looking into if he killed me, he would plead temporary insanity because I broke up his marriage. Shawn said he would only get 5 or 6 years in prison,"

Sheriff Stockton said items found in Smoot's residence during Sunday's lengthy search were sent to a Tennessee Bureau of Investigation crime laboratory.

Also taken for analysis: Smoot's vehicle and Morris's car. Her vehicle was found over the weekend near Altruda's Restaurant in The Commons Shopping Center at the corner of North Peters Road and Kingston Pike, Johnson said.

Two motorists called 911 at 8:06 p.m. Saturday to report seeing a fully clothed woman's body in the road at the intersection of Blair and Old Blair roads in the Dyllis community.

The body was taken to the Regional Forensic Center in Knoxville for an autopsy.

The district attorney said evidence at the scene "indicates that she was shot there," and the slaying occurred shortly before the body was found.

Comments:

October 19, 2011
6:11 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
Snidely_Whiplash writes:
"paramour"?

Really?

I can think of more commonly used words...
...October 19, 2011
6:25 a.m.
Reply to this post
what_a_joke writes:
(This comment was removed by the site staff.)
...October 19, 2011
7:31 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
Caneoverthere writes:
Horrible. I just hope they find the person responsible.
...October 19, 2011
7:56 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
MickiJames writes:
I hate this for the young lady. She saw an opportunity - a wealthy man, nice things, someone that paid her attention, but worse, she got caught up with someone a) married b)controlling. Bad combination. I would give everything I own in saying that I truly believe that he is responsible. Maybe not directly, but he is!!! Prayers for this young lady and her family!! I have a daughter that age and I would be devastated!!!
...October 19, 2011
8:12 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
ETfromBirth writes:
in response to Snidely_Whiplash:

"paramour"?

Really?

Yes KNS staff love to use the lexicon, bilking comes to mind from stories in reference to that lovely Jansen lady.
...October 19, 2011
8:37 a.m.
Reply to this post
Garryowen writes:
...October 19, 2011
9:03 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
idlan writes:
"What a joke" and "Garryowen"

The violent murder of a young woman, someone's daughter, is a completely inappropriate story to try to make a joke out of.
...October 19, 2011
9:17 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
sponge-bubba-cube-pants writes:
in response to MickiJames:

I hate this for the young lady. She saw an opportunity - a wealthy man, nice things, someone that paid her attention, but worse, she got caught up with someone a) married b)controlling. Bad combination. I would give everything I own in saying that I truly believe that he is responsible. Maybe not directly, but he is!!! Prayers for this young lady and her family!! I have a daughter that age and I would be devastated!!!

I had a friend die under identical circumstances. Why would a woman want to be with a man who is cheating on his wife to be with her? Does she think he will not do the same to her? My most sympathetic prayers to this young girls family. Sad.
...October 19, 2011
9:20 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
in response to idlan:

"What a joke" and "Garryowen"

The violent murder of a young woman, someone's daughter, is a completely inappropriate story to try to make a joke out of.

Even I have to agree with that. This story is not just sad but sickening.
...October 19, 2011
9:30 a.m.
Reply to this post
VOODOOley-2011 writes:
...October 19, 2011
10:12 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
devilsadvocate writes:
It's my understanding that Orders of Protection are very easy to obtain and require little to no substantiation to enact. They certainly serve a useful purpose regarding domestic violence, but they are also commonly overused/abused to gain leverage for legal proceedings.

My $0.02 and nothing more. Merely noting that KNS is quoting liberally from a document which has an extremely low burden of proof.
...October 19, 2011
10:42 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
Fussen writes:
in response to Snidely_Whiplash:

"paramour"?

Really?

For him or Her ?
...October 19, 2011
10:49 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
RespectYourElders writes:
in response to devilsadvocate:

It's my understanding that Orders of Protection are very easy to obtain and require little to no substantiation to enact. They certainly serve a useful purpose regarding domestic violence, but they are also commonly overused/abused to gain leverage for legal proceedings.

My $0.02 and nothing more. Merely noting that KNS is quoting liberally from a document which has an extremely low burden of proof.

I was told by an LEO that orders of protection are not worth the paper they are printed on. If you are being attacked by that person, they are of no use whatsoever. Only if you are able to escape your attacker and call police are they any good. A lot of women think they are safer with an order of protection, but it is a false sense of security.
...October 19, 2011
10:58 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
Caneoverthere writes:
in response to RespectYourElders:

I was told by an LEO that orders of protection are not worth the paper they are printed on. If you are being attacked by that person, they are of no use whatsoever. Only if you are able to escape your attacker and call police are they any good. A lot of women think they are safer with an order of protection, but it is a false sense of security.

That is my perception also - thanks.

It will be interesting to watch this play out.

I just hope we get who was responsible.
...October 19, 2011
11:10 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
gwills228#231210 writes:
so.... evidently the news sentinel thinks because he lived in gettysvue,he had a vehicle and because she didn't,she had a car!
...October 19, 2011
11:13 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
sugarplum writes:
Let them (trolls) be cursed in delighting in the tragedies of another person. Message to trolls: only you will know if that is true and only you will know why it is true. You are as evil as the one who did the crime.
...October 19, 2011
11:21 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
SonofCJ writes:
Caneoverthere writes:

That is my perception also - thanks.

It will be interesting to watch this play out.

I just hope we get who was responsible.
--------------------------------------
Order of protection = gun = security.

Unfortunately, the symbols available do not allow for a "=" sign with a slash through it.
...October 19, 2011
11:36 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post

That simply is not true, paper cuts hurt something awful.(sarcasm)

Yet lots of women believe that piece of paper WILL protect them, and the police are at their backs 24/7. Sad to think this may have been the case here.
...October 19, 2011
12:18 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
noxcounty writes:
This shows the futile pursuit of these idiot orders of protection.
...October 19, 2011
12:40 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
KnoxvilleVolsOptimist writes:
I write this comment with hesitation, as I have an extremely close working/business relationship with the aforementioned in the article. I can say that the involvement of him in the past with this girl is a fact that is not denied by any, but the validity of the accusations earlier this year are in some dispute. Otherwise known as one of the nicest, professional, and courteous agents I've worked with, he generally seemed to have a great heart. I understand that sometimes you can never truly know someone, but I'd like to think that the "person of interest" tag is simply all he will be. I will be saddened to learn otherwise, and will join the masses and say that he deserves his punishment if proven to be responsible. Obviously, I wish her family, her baby, and all involved condolences and comfort in this devastating time.

For those attempting poor humor involving this story, remember that this girl was a daughter, wife, and most importantly, a mother.
...October 19, 2011
12:44 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
jhill7 writes:
Since her car was found at Altruda's I just wonder if he some how talked her into meeting him for a "make up" date that turned ugly. And if you think about how her body was found it makes you wonder if maybe she escaped from someones car and they panicked and shot her. Most people wouldn't leave a body that close to a highway where people could find it that easily. Just a thought.
...October 19, 2011
1:06 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
mook writes:
My order of protections are a gun permit & a Ruger.
...October 19, 2011
1:08 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
mook writes:
I guess that should be my "orders" of protection.
...October 19, 2011
1:22 p.m.
Reply to this post
LOTNAR writes:
...October 19, 2011
1:58 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
Doesnt_Suffer_Fools writes:
I know a few people who are friends with the person of interest. All generally agree that he is quite friendly and charming. But you can pull this professional opinion from any website that characterizes abusive men:

"Batterers are generally quite skilled at “performing.” The “Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde” syndrome that you may have heard of in reference to abusive men refers to the ability to be two different people depending on where he is and who may be watching. Behind closed doors with his family, a batterer is quite capable of being a monster, while in public, he is equally capable of being charming and delightful; small wonder that so many people, including judges and child protective workers, have such difficulty believing that this charming man can be a monster. Additionally, the batterer’s smooth act tends to be horribly frustrating to his partner. She is well aware that he is deceiving all those who are observing and that his act will serve to reinforce the impression he encourages with others that she is the one who is unstable. The batterer is extremely good in acting like the concerned, involved father with child protective workers and judges."
...October 19, 2011
2 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
LVolsc06#663910 writes:
in response to sugarplum:

Let them (trolls) be cursed in delighting in the tragedies of another person. Message to trolls: only you will know if that is true and only you will know why it is true. You are as evil as the one who did the crime.

AMEN; sugarplum
...October 19, 2011
2:11 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
forumgoblin writes:
in response to devilsadvocate:

While a one sided document it is..it is the dead victims side of the document. Most orders of protection don't say a person threatened to shoot me and magically the person ended up shot to death. It was also filed well in advance of her murder and provides probable cause in order to rule the insurance man out as a suspect.
The document does establish a relationship and in these crimes most often the victim knew the assailant. It is a numbers game although not foolproof.

The one truth is you had a cheatin husband and now the girlfriend is dead. If I was the wife I would be very careful right now..where there is smoke there is usually fire.
...October 19, 2011
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
the_truth_is_hard_to_handle writes:
Order of Protection = Useless document.
...October 19, 2011
2:16 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
grpphoto#222763 writes:

Well, that seems to go a bit far. Yes, an OoP isn't going to do the job of a bodyguard, but it may solve the problem by making the attacker think twice, and, if the worst happens, it gives the police some clues. If this young woman had not obtained that order, it might have been a long time before the police began checking this guy out.
...October 19, 2011
3:12 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
gradtrip writes:
Is Brooke Nicole Morris also known as Brooke Nicole Gregg from Karns?
...October 19, 2011
3:34 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
hojo0710 writes:
In some cases the order of protection simply enrages the object and causes her/him to become more determined to engage in the enjoined behavior. It's a two-edged sword.
...October 19, 2011
4:17 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
Doesnt_Suffer_Fools writes:
in response to gradtrip:

Yes.
...October 19, 2011
4:30 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
gradtrip writes:
in response to Doesnt_Suffer_Fools:

Yes.

Thank you.
...October 19, 2011
4:35 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
utfootballfan writes:
in response to the_truth_is_hard_to_handle:

Order of Protection = Useless document.

Actually it is not useless in this case. It is giving them someone to look at!! What if she hadn't filled it out?
...October 19, 2011
4:37 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
factor writes:
Would I put my life in HIS HANDS? Negative
...October 19, 2011
5:24 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
bretticus25#294810 writes:

Thanks K-town Nancy Grace, for your input.
...October 19, 2011
6:08 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
sxylilhotti writes:
in response to ETfromBirth:

Yes KNS staff love to use the lexicon, bilking comes to mind from stories in reference to that lovely Jansen lady.

LMFAO lovely jansen lady ...thanx i needed that laugh
...October 19, 2011
6:13 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
makelemonade writes:
Why Roane Co ? Anyone who has lived in this area has heard the old adage the "anyone can get away with murder in Roane Co.". Not saying that's why but for someone who has thought it out enough to threaten that "he would plead insanity and only serve 5 to 6 years", that's not too far fetched. Just a thought.
...October 19, 2011
9:36 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
areone writes:
I don't know what he said or done to get Brooke in his car that nite.Or why he chose to drive her to Roane county.But I can only imagine how scared she was as he was driving her on that old curvy country road.I truely believe when Brooke saw a house close by the road she tried to jump out of the car and get away from him and he caught her and shot her where she stood.I know the family that lives in the house very close to where she was found said they heard four gun shots not long before she was found on the side of the road.The police also have text messages between him and Brooke Sat nite and he has admitted he was with her but says he didn't kill her.I think he should be counting his moments of freadom.Because I don't think it will be long and he will be locked up @ the new and approved Roane county jail.
...October 19, 2011
9:56 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
Getaclue2 writes:
in response to gwills228#231210:

so.... evidently the news sentinel thinks because he lived in gettysvue,he had a vehicle and because she didn't,she had a car!

Can you read and re-write your post to make sense.
...October 19, 2011
10:03 p.m.
Reply to this post
Getaclue2 writes:
...October 19, 2011
11:33 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
Armani writes:
in response to Getaclue2:

I honestly doubt she was in there. Sounds to me like Mr. Smoot better get used to sleeping on a bunk behind iron bars.
...October 19, 2011
11:37 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
areone writes:
in response to Getaclue2:

It isn't far from there @ all.But if she were in there someone would have had to see her and would have spoke up by now. It is a very small place and mostly older local ppl go there and very few ppl prob there before 8:00 which is what time the police say the 911 calls were made.And Brooke was a beautiful young lady and wasn't from around here.She would have drawn the attention of everyone in there. And there would be a full detail of who she was with,what they were wearing,what they drank if anything,hell they would prob be able to tell you what their whole conversation was while they were there.I don't think she was at Reds.Or the police would have known as soon as they released a lady had been found, and described her.
...October 20, 2011
12:50 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
poore415#1389400 writes:
Where were you people 61 years ago when my grand parents where murdered in Roane Co. near the same spot. Then left the murder unsolved. The only place I know where murder is common. Where is the JUSTICE.
...October 20, 2011
7:06 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
1rosebud writes:
in response to makelemonade:

Why Roane Co ? Anyone who has lived in this area has heard the old adage the "anyone can get away with murder in Roane Co.". Not saying that's why but for someone who has thought it out enough to threaten that "he would plead insanity and only serve 5 to 6 years", that's not too far fetched. Just a thought.

Houston brother's did. I guess the saying must be true.
...October 20, 2011
8:25 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
skeeballcore writes:
in response to sponge-bubba-cube-pants:

I had a friend die under identical circumstances. Why would a woman want to be with a man who is cheating on his wife to be with her? Does she think he will not do the same to her? My most sympathetic prayers to this young girls family. Sad.

Let me share a situation that I know of:

A married man forced a married woman into an affair, and by forced, I mean raped. The man threatened that if the woman went forward with the information, he would tell her husband that it was not rape but a true affair, and that he would also kill himself. This would seem fairly unbelievable if not for the overwhelming burden of proof placed against the man. So, a woman that in any other situation might be called a w**** or a "paramour" should have in fact been called a victim.

I guess what I'm saying is; don't always think that you know the entire truth if you "weren't there". For all we know, this could be a similar situation given this man's violent tendencies and the scenario of ripping her clothes off as mentioned above. Then again, it could've been a simple affair with the wrong man.

Either way, it's a horrible idea to judge anyone on either side of the situation until you know the facts....now, killing someone cold-blooded over this type of situation, feel free to judge him if he's guilty, as what he's done is a horrible and despicable act, the act of a childish coward.
...October 20, 2011
8:52 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
1rosebud writes:
This is my thought. She was a young woman working for this person. Most young women are afraid to speak up for themselves and maybe she let this guy get his way because he was her boss. I am just saying. I once had a boss when I was in my late 20's that came up behind me one day at work (nobody else was around), stood really close to my back, could have taken my hand and touched him if I had wanted too and gave me a should rub. I did not ask him to do this nor did I do anything to encourage him. He was married (and the tale was he already had a girlfriend)and I did not know what to do. I needed my job. He never did this again, I do not think it was much longer I quit for another job. It did make me feel uncomfortable, and it would have been my word against his if I had said something about it. Not that this happened to this young woman but I know for myself, I said nothing to him when this happend. I was too scared or in shock. Anyway, he got by with doing this too me, although nothing went any further. This was before sexual arrestment was a big deal in the news. I have never forgot this taking place (in the late 80's). I hope they find the right person who did this. It does not sound good for Mr. Smoot.
...October 20, 2011
8:54 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
skeeballcore writes:
in response to 1rosebud:

This is my thought. She was a young woman working for this person. Most young women are afraid to speak up for themselves and maybe she let this guy get his way because he was her boss. I am just saying. I once had a boss when I was in my late 20's that came up behind me one day at work (nobody else was around), stood really close to my back, could have taken my hand and touched him if I had wanted too and gave me a should rub. I did not ask him to do this nor did I do anything to encourage him. He was married (and the tale was he already had a girlfriend)and I did not know what to do. I needed my job. He never did this again, I do not think it was much longer I quit for another job. It did make me feel uncomfortable, and it would have been my word against his if I had said something about it. Not that this happened to this young woman but I know for myself, I said nothing to him when this happend. I was too scared or in shock. Anyway, he got by with doing this too me, although nothing went any further. This was before sexual arrestment was a big deal in the news. I have never forgot this taking place (in the late 80's). I hope they find the right person who did this. It does not sound good for Mr. Smoot.

This kinda goes along with the incident I was describing
...October 20, 2011
8:55 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
SonofCJ writes:
1rosebud writes:

--------------------------------
Bad example. Self-defense is not the same thing as murder.
...October 20, 2011
9:12 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
1rosebud writes:
in response to SonofCJ:

1rosebud writes:

That is their story, self defense. Unless you were there who knows. Where you there? People are known to lie when it comes to getting caught. I do not know if it was self defense or not. I only know that 2 men died that day, did not know them, do not know the Houstons, but they do sound like a two weirdos. Maybe truth to the story they were being targeted for whatever by the Roane County police, I do not know. All I know is there sure are bunch of drugies in the county, not that they are not around here. I know someone in Roane County that did know the Houston's and thru them I have learned that Roane County has many, many drug people, even some you would not expect to be drugies. Drugs are everywhere that I know, just hear of so many thru my friend. I do not have to deal with them at my home. Thank the Lord.

October 20, 2011
9:17 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
1rosebud writes:
in response to skeeballcore:

This kinda goes along with the incident I was describing

Yes, I know. You reminded me of what happened to me and maybe this is a part of what happened here. I wonder how old this guy is?
...October 20, 2011
9:29 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
dawgboy21 writes:
in response to KnoxvilleVolsOptimist:

I write this comment with hesitation, as I have an extremely close working/business relationship with the aforementioned in the article. I can say that the involvement of him in the past with this girl is a fact that is not denied by any, but the validity of the accusations earlier this year are in some dispute. Otherwise known as one of the nicest, professional, and courteous agents I've worked with, he generally seemed to have a great heart. I understand that sometimes you can never truly know someone, but I'd like to think that the "person of interest" tag is simply all he will be. I will be saddened to learn otherwise, and will join the masses and say that he deserves his punishment if proven to be responsible. Obviously, I wish her family, her baby, and all involved condolences and comfort in this devastating time.

For those attempting poor humor involving this story, remember that this girl was a daughter, wife, and most importantly, a mother.

sorry to hear about this kid dying....but you say she is a wife...where is her husband?
...October 20, 2011
9:35 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
dawgboy21 writes:
in response to KnoxvilleVolsOptimist:

Sorry to hear about this ....but you say she is a wife...where is her husband?He isnt mentioned here
...October 20, 2011
10:10 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
LVolsc06#663910 writes:
in response to Doesnt_Suffer_Fools:

I know a few people who are friends with the person of interest. All generally agree that he is quite friendly and charming. But you can pull this professional opinion from any website that characterizes abusive men:

"Batterers are generally quite skilled at “performing.” The “Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde” syndrome that you may have heard of in reference to abusive men refers to the ability to be two different people depending on where he is and who may be watching. Behind closed doors with his family, a batterer is quite capable of being a monster, while in public, he is equally capable of being charming and delightful; small wonder that so many people, including judges and child protective workers, have such difficulty believing that this charming man can be a monster. Additionally, the batterer’s smooth act tends to be horribly frustrating to his partner. She is well aware that he is deceiving all those who are observing and that his act will serve to reinforce the impression he encourages with others that she is the one who is unstable. The batterer is extremely good in acting like the concerned, involved father with child protective workers and judges."

Iam sorry if I am wrong. But his picture doesn't impress me for one minute. He looks to me like he might think he is a LADIES MAN. RIGHT?
...October 20, 2011
10:26 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
SonofCJ writes:
1rosebud writes:
in response to SonofCJ:

1rosebud writes:

That is their story, self defense.
---------------------------------------
Yes, that's their story....and the story of a jury of their peers.
...October 20, 2011
12:03 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
VolFan2012 writes:
in response to dawgboy21:

Sorry to hear about this ....but you say she is a wife...where is her husband?He isnt mentioned here

Dawgboy,

Brooke and her husband had divorced late last year, thats why he isn't mentioned in the article.
...October 20, 2011
12:32 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
dawgboy21 writes:
in response to VolFan2012:

Dawgboy,

Brooke and her husband had divorced late last year, thats why he isn't mentioned in the article.

Ok, just wondering if they are looking at him too.
...October 20, 2011
5:50 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
goodboy writes:
in response to gradtrip:

yes it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by RatPak11 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Re: Knoxville insurance executive's home searched in Roane m

Unread postby RatPak11 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:58 am

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/oct/2 ... e-last-23/

Search warrant: Knox insurance executive last person with 23-year-old homicide victim
By Bob Fowler
Knoxville News Sentinel
Posted October 20, 2011 at 4 a.m.

A Knox County insurance executive was the last known person to see a Powell woman alive before her body — with a bullet wound to her head — was found on a rural Roane County roadway, according to a search warrant.

Shawn Smoot told an investigator he was with Brooke Nicole Morris between 1 p.m. and 6:30 or 7 p.m. Saturday, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Brad Nealon states in the warrant.

Related document.Return of a search warrant served on Shawn Smoot's Knox County home
Two text messages, however, were sent during that time from Smoot's phone to the 23-year-old victim's cellphone, both with the same message — "Don't (expletive) this up."

One text message was sent at 5:45 p.m. Saturday. The second was sent at 6:31 p.m. Saturday.

Morris's fully-clothed body was found shortly after 8 that night at the intersection of Blair and Old Blair roads in the Dyllis community of Roane County.

Authorities learned through a crime computer check that Morris had filed an order of protection against Smoot, and he quickly became what officials say is a "person of interest" in the murder probe.

An investigator arrived at Smoot's Hidden Oak Way residence in Knoxville before dawn Sunday, Nealon's warrant indicates.

Smoot moved there after splitting up with his wife in early January and leaving the Gettysvue Way residence they'd shared.

Smoot told the investigator about his Saturday afternoon with Morris, saying he'd picked her up on Cumberland Avenue and dropped her off at her car, parked near Altruda's restaurant off North Peters Road, according to the warrant.

According to the document, Smoot also told the investigator that he owned a .32-caliber Kel-Tec P-32 pistol.

A 7.65 mm bullet can be fired by that weapon, the warrant states, and two 7.65 bullet rounds and two shell casings were found near Morris's body.

Nealon obtained and executed the search warrant late Sunday afternoon for Smoot's residence. Among items seized were a box of ammunition containing six 7.65 mm rounds and a cellphone.

Smoot and his wife separated Jan. 5, according to a complaint for divorce filed by Michelle Hall Smoot.

Smoot was at Morris's residence that day, according to the order of protection Morris filed against Smoot later that month.

"He got angry because I received a text message," Morris wrote. "Shawn threw me on the bed and held me down. Shawn strangled me with his hands around my neck until I became lightheaded and could not breathe."

Morris was the mother of a young son.

Smoot is an Allstate Insurance agent and operates the Shawn Smoot Agency, 10710 Kingston Pike. He hasn't responded to repeated calls seeking comment.

On his Shawn Smoot Allstate Facebook page, Smoot has written: "I am a former officer in the Army National Guard, and an Iraqi War veteran as well as a full-time recruiter. Prior to graduating college in 2000, I served in the US Navy Submarine Force. After college I held several positions in retail management, contract bidding, and outside sales. I have always served in the public sector and truly believe that with these customer service experiences and skills, it has made me who I am today, your Allstate Agent."

Both Smoot's vehicle and Morris's car, which was found still parked near Altruda's, have been taken to a TBI crime lab for analysis.

No charges have been filed. "We're still looking at multiple avenues of the investigation and we're still talking with people," Roane County Sheriff's Department Chief Deputy Tim Phillips said Wednesday.

Comments:

October 20, 2011
4:27 a.m.
slee writes:
glad i drop my all state insurance

...October 20, 2011
4:44 a.m.
chs1965 writes:
This has nothing to do with the type of insurance company. Was that comment for real?

...October 20, 2011
6:32 a.m.
randomcrazy writes:
only if shehe had it with that agent

...October 20, 2011
7:15 a.m.
pragmatist writes:
Wow, the slim amount of evidence identified certainly seems to point a finger. I don't understand what would be his motivation to kill her nine months after they were discovered.

I hate the young woman's life ended in this way and I hope her killer is brought to justice. Very sad for her family and child.

...October 20, 2011
7:16 a.m.
mtnlaurel writes:
My thoughts and prayers are with Brooke's family and especially her young son. I am so sad for your loss.

...October 20, 2011
7:26 a.m.
skeeballcore writes:
in response to pragmatist:

Wow, the slim amount of evidence identified certainly seems to point a finger. I don't understand what would be his motivation to kill her nine months after they were discovered.

I hate the young woman's life ended in this way and I hope her killer is brought to justice. Very sad for her family and child.

I guess slim evidence you're referring to is the order of protection, the assault, the texts, the fact that he owns the crappy Kel-tec...yes...very, very slim

Also, it's pretty darn clear what happened. He left his wife for this girl, now the girl was leaving him and he was telling her not to "mess" this up. Apparently she did and some sick piece of phooey takes away the mother of a young boy because he's jealous.

...October 20, 2011
7:52 a.m.
Panman writes:

...October 20, 2011
Reply to this post
goodolecountryboy writes:
A simple ballistics test will seal the deal, IMHO.

As to why she would still see him even after filing the order of protection, this is fairly common, unfortunately.

...October 20, 2011
8:13 a.m.
Panman writes:
in response to goodolecountryboy:

As to why she would still see him even after filing the order of protection, this is fairly common, unfortunately.

It's no wonder the police have a hard time taking an order of protection seriously. Sounds as if it's more of a tool for intimidation. How unfortunate for those that seriously need protection.
...October 20, 2011
8:40 a.m.
makelemonade writes:
I've never understood why women continually go back to men who are abusive. What is the attraction? When you are drawn to scum don't be surprised when he turns out to be SCUM! My own mother has been this way her entire life. She always was repelled by the nice guys but fell all over the bad boys. Now she wonders why she's been married 7 times and still trying to find the right guy at almost 70 years old, yes I'm not exaggerating.

...October 20, 2011
8:41 a.m.
Reply to this post
leprechaun writes:
...idlechat writes:

I can't remember where I read or heard that she worked for the insurance guy at one point anyway. Maybe the contact request in the order of protection was to keep her job. Just a guess. If there was an order of protection, why was the agent allowed to keep his weapons?

...October 20, 2011
8:49 a.m.
AsianView writes:

Agree that ballistics test can prove his gun fired the bullets found near her body, but if there is not a match, that would not definitively prove his innocence.

Possible reason for meeting him could be financial issues.

Does he have a HCP for his gun?

...October 20, 2011
9:02 a.m.
gradtrip writes:
in response to slee:

glad i drop my all state insurance

I never did trust insurance salesmen.

...October 20, 2011
9:09 a.m.
Nlfield0908 writes:
in response to idlechat:

I can't remember where I read or heard that she worked for the insurance guy at one point anyway. Maybe the contact request in the order of protection was to keep her job. Just a guess. If there was an order of protection, why was the agent allowed to keep his weapons?

If she lowered the Order of protection to a contact one, he is allowed to keep his guns.

I went through this with my ex husband...I had a full order, but, with kids and having to sell our home, etc., I dropped it to the contact, which they still have to abide by the rules of the order, but, allows limited contact. After this was done, he told me that he could get his guns back now from his step-father, who took them from him when the original order was served, per the police officer who served him.

...October 20, 2011
9:20 a.m.
Caneoverthere writes:
What a tragedy on so many different levels.

...October 20, 2011
9:22 a.m.
kickinc11 writes:
in response to AsianView:

Agree that ballistics test can prove his gun fired the bullets found near her body, but if there is not a match, that would not definitively prove his innocence.

Possible reason for meeting him could be financial issues.

Does he have a HCP for his gun?

"Does he have a HCP for his gun?"

What does that have to do with anything? Please don't tell me you honestly have the misconception that only people that have HCP's take their gun outside of their home. Anyone with a gun can murder someone HCP or not.

And to answer that irrelevant question, it doesn't appear that he does.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he did it right away as so many of you are since the statments in a news article are hardly all of the facts. There are thousands of Kel-tecs in existance, and beside that point who murders someone and then keeps a $200 gun? That likely would have ended up in the bottom of a river.

Innocent until proven guilty, and a KNS article is hardly a fair trial.

...October 20, 2011
9:29 a.m.
MerrieLong writes:
Several have asked why she agreed to meet with him after the whole order of protection. Aren't we just assuming that she agreed to meet with him? The only person that says they were together for the afternoon, is him, the guy who looks to be the prime suspect.

Just because someone says something, doesn't make it true. However, she very well could have been with him all afternoon...but against her will, held at gunpoint.

I think instead of playing CSI, I'll just offer my "thoughts and prayers" up to the woman, her loved ones, the man, his loved ones, and everyone who works at this guy's business.

...October 20, 2011
9:31 a.m.
LVolsc06#663910 writes:
in response to chs1965:

This has nothing to do with the type of insurance company. Was that comment for real?

...October 20, 2011
9:33 a.m.
Tinkerbell writes:
How terrible. What a completely senseless thing to happen and now her son has to grow up without her.

...October 20, 2011
10 a.m.
AreYouSerious4321 writes:
Shouldn't he at least incur charges due to possessing a gun with an OoP? I thought it was standard for one to turn in all firearms??? Something is not right about this.
I knew this girl and I will relish when justice is served.
THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!

...October 20, 2011
10:02 a.m.
TNMOM50 writes:
This is so sad. A beautiful young woman is dead at the hands of some idiot. This mother, daughter, sister, friend is lost forever. I simply do not understand why someone would think that this was the solution to whatever problem there was. To take her life and ruin his. Senseless! My prayers are with her family and his too. This has ruined so many lives.

...October 20, 2011
10:24 a.m.
amnotbelievingthis writes:
in response to LVolsc06#663910:

So, if you commit a crime we need to know where you work and boycot whatever that company does/sells because YOU are a criminal? That's not clear thinking at all. The insurance company has NOTHING to do with this murder. Be sad for the young victim and her family and not post stupid comments that are irrelevant.

...October 20, 2011
11:03 a.m.
Garryowen writes:
Leprechaun you better watch out.
I got censored yesterday for making that reference.

...October 20, 2011
11:16 a.m.
aguy#276948 writes:
in response to idlechat:

I don't think being named in an order of protection means you have to surrender your firearms to the authorities.

...October 20, 2011
11:18 a.m.
aguy#276948 writes:
in response to gradtrip:

I never did trust insurance salesmen.

It's a living, and someone's gotta do it. My State Farm agent has always been pleasant to deal with. Do you feel the same way about insurance sales women?

...October 20, 2011
11:24 a.m.
aguy#276948 writes:
in response to aguy#276948:

I don't think being named in an order of protection means you have to surrender your firearms to the authorities.

A quick google search shows that I'm completely wrong about that. Learn something new everyday.

...October 20, 2011
11:43 a.m.
girlnextdoor writes:

I've never understood why women continually go back to men who are abusive. What is the attraction? When you are drawn to scum don't be surprised when he turns out to be SCUM! My own mother has been this way her entire life. She always was repelled by the nice guys but fell all over the bad boys. Now she wonders why she's been married 7 times and still trying to find the right guy at almost 70 years old, yes I'm not exaggerating.

Alot of it could be in her up bringing and childhood issiues. They just dont have skills to cope, they are very weak and make bad decisions. I feel for you because I know how hard this must have been for you .

...October 20, 2011
12:04 p.m.
alyd69#505279 writes:
in response to Panman:

Really, you're assigning blame to a young woman who was murdered and left on the side of the road?

...October 20, 2011
12:07 p.m.
The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca writes:
REMEMBER, THIS MAN IS INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

If this was a TV show:

It could have been the ex-wife in a fit of revenge.

It could have been the lover of an ex-wife who wanted the ex-husband (in this case Smoot) completely out of the picture.

It could be the ex-wife's mother because ... well, she's a mother-in-law and you know how they are.

It could be another of the victim's ex-boyfriends who was jealous.

It could be whoever might be the beneficiary of the victim's life insurance policy or policies.

It could be the ex-wife of the victim's ex-husband - another fit of jealousy.

Other scenarios are possible.

None of the above scenarios is meant as a commentary on this case. I know none of these people. I know nothing about this case, nor do I mean any disrespect to the families and friends who are now trying to sort through their pain and confusion.

My point is that everyone has a right to due process under the U.S. Constitution. It's wrong to destroy Mr. Smoot's reputation. Just because we've come to a point over the past 20 years when a man or woman can be held guilty by association in the media, doesn't mean it is morally or ethically correct to destroy someone's reputation.

Remember, Richard Jewell's life was destroyed when he was incorrectly accused by the media of the Atlanta bombing.

Several people were tried and found guilty in the media during the investigation of the mass murder at the University of Florida in the 90s. None of the falsely accused recovered and all their lives spiraled out of control afterward.

Things are not always as they seem.

Let the process work.

...October 20, 2011
12:08 p.m.
tink64 writes:
Folks this is a horrible tragidy. The little snide comments are uncalled for. This child is a member of my family and what needs to be said is prayers and justice for her and the family. Please!!!!!

...October 20, 2011
12:13 p.m.
VolFan2012 writes:
in response to skeeballcore:

I guess slim evidence you're referring to is the order of protection, the assault, the texts, the fact that he owns the crappy Kel-tec...yes...very, very slim

Also, it's pretty darn clear what happened. He left his wife for this girl, now the girl was leaving him and he was telling her not to "mess" this up. Apparently she did and some sick piece of phooey takes away the mother of a young boy because he's jealous.

From the way I understood it, the wife had left him after learning about the affair and that is what angered him back in January. Either way, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

...October 20, 2011
12:14 p.m.
Toaster writes:

...October 20, 2011
12:17 p.m.
VolFan2012 writes:
in response to Toaster:

The "baby daddy" is her ex-husband, they had divorced late last year. He was at home carrying for the child that night after being at work all day.

...October 20, 2011
12:18 p.m.
VolFan2012 writes:
in response to VolFan2012:

The "baby daddy" is her ex-husband, they had divorced late last year. He was at home carrying for the child that night after being at work all day.

*caring for the child

...October 20, 2011
12:22 p.m.
dlm928#268383 writes:
There is a lot more than what is being reported. I don't know why the facts are being held back, but there must be a good reason. From what I understand from a very "close" source is that they were seen out by other eye witnessess that afternoon. It is not looking good for him!

...October 20, 2011
12:27 p.m.
Toaster writes:
in response to Toaster:

Really?

...October 20, 2011
12:42 p.m.
Manner11 writes:
Why was she "picked up on Cumberland" at apparently 1:00ish but then dropped off at her car on North Peters at Altruda's at 6:30ish. Why was she on Cumberland without her car or how did her car get to Altruda's without her driving it ? Does anyone have any info in that ? Seems like a sketchy description. Odd cause that was gameday right? UT game Kickoff time: 3:39 pm • End of Game: 6:52 pm. O

...October 20, 2011
12:55 p.m.
s99s writes:
in response to The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca:

If this was a TV show:

It could have been the ex-wife in a fit of revenge.

It could have been the lover of an ex-wife who wanted the ex-husband (in this case Smoot) completely out of the picture.

It could be the ex-wife's mother because ... well, she's a mother-in-law and you know how they are.

It could be another of the victim's ex-boyfriends who was jealous.

It could be whoever might be the beneficiary of the victim's life insurance policy or policies.

It could be the ex-wife of the victim's ex-husband - another fit of jealousy.

Other scenarios are possible.

None of the above scenarios is meant as a commentary on this case. I know none of these people. I know nothing about this case, nor do I mean any disrespect to the families and friends who are now trying to sort through their pain and confusion.

My point is that everyone has a right to due process under the U.S. Constitution. It's wrong to destroy Mr. Smoot's reputation. Just because we've come to a point over the past 20 years when a man or woman can be held guilty by association in the media, doesn't mean it is morally or ethically correct to destroy someone's reputation.

Remember, Richard Jewell's life was destroyed when he was incorrectly accused by the media of the Atlanta bombing.

Several people were tried and found guilty in the media during the investigation of the mass murder at the University of Florida in the 90s. None of the falsely accused recovered and all their lives spiraled out of control afterward.

Things are not always as they seem.

Let the process work.

unfortunately this is not TV and all the evidence points to Smoot. If i was a betting man I would say Smoot is the killer...
...October 20, 2011

12:57 p.m.
slugdiamond writes:
My sorrow for this woman, and her young (now motherless) child, is tempered by the fact that she had been involved with a married man. Nothing good ever comes from situations like those. I am by no means condoning his behavior either. Sad story all around.

...October 20, 2011
1:31 p.m.
Growlearnlove writes:
``````
As Ghost points out, the "person of interest" is innocent until proven guilty. If he did it, I'd guess that the reason was an old one: obsession turns to violence.

As to those who would judge the dead woman, I'd advise that we not hold her beauty and youth against her. Men can lie. She could have been told the marriage was in name only, and that a divorce was going to be mutually arranged, or any number of lies. Women get unwanted attention from men. Handling such attention safely, while not hurting prickly male egos takes skill and tact.

For the murdered woman I offer my pity. For her son, son's father, and her friends and family, I offer my sympathy.

For her killer, I offer nothing but contempt. He should turn to Jesus, Buddha, Allah, the White Goddess, or any diety of his choice for mercy, because I can't muster any for him in my heart. He had no right to play god with her life.

...October 20, 2011
1:42 p.m.
Growlearnlove writes:
``````````
On the bright side for Smoot, if he is guilty, going through divorce in Judge Swann's court will be the least of his worries. I'd say it is hard to pay alimony from prison.

...October 20, 2011
totoiv writes:
If you took someone all the way to rural Roane County wouldn't you throw away the gun somewhere along the way?

...October 20, 2011
2:33 p.m.
RussellP writes:
I agree that there is more to this than meets the eye. Particularly the fact that the Number One suspect was in possession of the possible murder weapon. Being a college grad of reasonable intelligence, having had a number of hours between the shooting and the arrival of an investigator at his residence, it seems a bit hard to accept that he would still have the weapon and ammo in his possession. I am not saying that he should not be the primary suspect, but I think there is a lot more here than meets the eye.

...October 20, 2011
2:40 p.m.
mlandry writes:
Innocent until proven guilty? Apparently not in this situation. Why does KNS accuse this man without proof and involve Allstate in the story? Shame on you!

...October 20, 2011
2:49 p.m.
kendallina writes:
in response to slugdiamond:

My sorrow for this woman, and her young (now motherless) child, is tempered by the fact that she had been involved with a married man. Nothing good ever comes from situations like those. I am by no means condoning his behavior either. Sad story all around.

Totally repulsive comment! An extramarital affair does not excuse murder. You also don't know what he told her when they first got involved - he could have said he was single at the time their relationship began and she broke it off once she found out he was married. Also, last time I checked he was the one who said the vows to his wife not the victim in this story.

...October 20, 2011
2:51 p.m.
s99s writes:
in response to mlandry:

Innocent until proven guilty? Apparently not in this situation. Why does KNS accuse this man without proof and involve Allstate in the story? Shame on you!

KNS never acused this man all they did was report the facts if that makes the man look guilty well he probably is.

Order of protection
choked the girl
two 7.65 bullet rounds and two shell casings were found near Morris's body.
Smoot had six 7.65 shells
text messages...

if it looks like a duck...you get the point

...October 20, 2011
2:58 p.m.
CapStormfield_1 writes:
Perhaps adultery isn't just a 'moral' problem.

Despite Hollywood and despite the 'enlightenment' of the '60s, adultery still causes a lot of grief - for victims, for adulterers and for society which has to clean up the mess.

Maybe the Puritans weren't just puritans. Maybe they were also smart.

...October 20, 2011
2:58 p.m.
tink64 writes:
in response to girlnextdoor:

Alot of it could be in her up bringing and childhood issiues. They just dont have skills to cope, they are very weak and make bad decisions. I feel for you because I know how hard this must have been for you .

First of all if you have never been in an abusive relationship then you have no ideal it is not so easy to leave, been there.
Next,she had a TRO on this guy
Third, Do not judge how this young lady was raised. I know personally( she is a member of my family) she was raised in a loving, caring family.
Please do not judge her or this family

...October 20, 2011
2:59 p.m.
in response to s99s:

KNS never acused this man all they did was report the facts if that makes the man look guilty well he probably is.

Order of protection
choked the girl
two 7.65 bullet rounds and two shell casings were found near Morris's body.
Smoot had six 7.65 shells
text messages...

if it looks like a duck...you get the point

Sorry, it doesn't look like a duck.

None of this points to murder. It points to a relationship gone/going wrong, but not to murder.

If this was all the evidence you needed to put someone in jail for life, half the U.S. population would be incarcerated.

October 20, 2011
3 p.m.
slugdiamond writes:
in response to kendallina:

Totally repulsive comment! An extramarital affair does not excuse murder. You also don't know what he told her when they first got involved - he could have said he was single at the time their relationship began and she broke it off once she found out he was married. Also, last time I checked he was the one who said the vows to his wife not the victim in this story.

Just my opinion. Ya' know, everyone IS entitled to one.

...October 20, 2011
3:09 p.m.
in response to s99s:

unfortunately this is not TV and all the evidence points to Smoot. If i was a betting man I would say Smoot is the killer...

All the evidence doesn't point to Smoot. In fact, if all the evidence police have is the "evidence" contained in this newspaper report, then it's all circumstantial. There is no evidence that points to anyone.

Smoot's life is ruined regardless of whether he is charged or found innocent or guilty. Smoot's life is ruined even if someone else comes forward and confesses. You can't take back the damage from a false accusation.

Bad logic leads to people being sent to prison for crimes they didn't commit. Do us all a favor. Every time you're called to jury duty, try your best to get out of it. We have enough innocent people in jail already.

...October 20, 2011
4:11 p.m.
Growlearnlove writes:
in response to CapStormfield_1:

Perhaps adultery isn't just a 'moral' problem.

Despite Hollywood and despite the 'enlightenment' of the '60s, adultery still causes a lot of grief - for victims, for adulterers and for society which has to clean up the mess.

Maybe the Puritans weren't just puritans. Maybe they were also smart.

``````````
Are you saying that if we violate the seventh commandment, we might as well be victims of someone breaking the sixth? You're something special, that is for sure.

...October 20, 2011
4:14 p.m.
s99s writes:

All the evidence doesn't point to Smoot. In fact, if all the evidence police have is the "evidence" contained in this newspaper report, then it's all circumstantial. There is no evidence that points to anyone.

Smoot's life is ruined regardless of whether he is charged or found innocent or guilty. Smoot's life is ruined even if someone else comes forward and confesses. You can't take back the damage from a false accusation.

Bad logic leads to people being sent to prison for crimes they didn't commit. Do us all a favor. Every time you're called to jury duty, try your best to get out of it. We have enough innocent people in jail already.

keep reading the paper a confession or murder charges will be coming soon.

...October 20, 2011
4:25 p.m.
AreYouSerious4321 writes:
in response to s99s:

With ANY luck he'll give a confession thinking it will help him. Then he can get the chair. Too bad we don't use a firing squad in TN - it'd be nice to see someone suffer the same way they made someone else. and their family, and friends.
All of you giving him the benefit of the doubt will see him for the MURDERER he truly is! Time won't heal all wounds, but time will certainly provide some answers!!

...October 20, 2011
4:45 p.m.
joeblow writes:
in response to RussellP:

I agree that there is more to this than meets the eye. Particularly the fact that the Number One suspect was in possession of the possible murder weapon. Being a college grad of reasonable intelligence, having had a number of hours between the shooting and the arrival of an investigator at his residence, it seems a bit hard to accept that he would still have the weapon and ammo in his possession. I am not saying that he should not be the primary suspect, but I think there is a lot more here than meets the eye.

Yeah hes crazy and not in reality atm. ever read some of the comments on here. It's typed in a Xannax/pill haze usually.

...October 20, 2011
4:48 p.m.
joeblow writes:
in response to s99s:

Remember he is a 25 year "investigator" can't fool him for a minute. Most on here have so many screen names they'll just switch to another. Its the clean coal,nuke is safe Houstons are guilty as sin crowd that are all over this website.

...October 20, 2011
4:52 p.m.
in response to s99s:

Can you look into your crystal ball and tell us what the Alabama-Tennessee score will be on Saturday?

...October 20, 2011
5:09 p.m.
forumgoblin writes:
#1. The guy should have not said a word to police ever. He put himself with the victim right before her death. The police probably wouldn't have been able to even prove he was with her before her death without that admission.

#2. without the murder weapon the case would be even harder to prove..the idiot should have got rid of it at least.

No sense in turning yourself in..if your not gonna turn yourself in.

...October 20, 2011
5:22 p.m.
forumgoblin writes:
Any lawyer worth his salt will tell you to never speak to police..ever.guilty..innocent..ever..you cannot help yourself in any way.
...October 20, 2011

5:28 p.m.
sb718 writes:
You all keep in mind that your assumptions and ignorant comments will be read by a grieving mother. Who I happen to know well. Yes he did it. "Innocent until proven guilty" is for lawyers and criminals. The people close to Brookie know the truth and at this point that's ALL that matters. Facts are facts and you all are only hearing a SMALL percentage of them. So please keep your slanderous comments and assumptions about sweet Brooke to yourself. This guy is a total lunatic. He was a ticking timebomb and a manipulator. And here's another FACT: Brooke may not have been the first girl he psychotically stalked but rest assured she WILL BE THE LAST. Rest sweet Brooke. Let God and justice handle that monster. Thanks everyone.

...October 20, 2011
5:32 p.m.
jimbob writes:
I am not a gunsmith but I seriously doubt that a .32 Keltec can fire a 7.65 mm bullet. Will someone enlighten me.

...October 20, 2011
5:38 p.m.
joeblow writes:
in response to jimbob:

I am not a gunsmith but I seriously doubt that a .32 Keltec can fire a 7.65 mm bullet. Will someone enlighten me.

its pretty obscure to me as well. .320 inch is 7.65mm but bullets are not referred to that way in my circle.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/lengt...

...October 20, 2011
6:25 p.m.
s99s writes:

Can you look into your crystal ball and tell us what the Alabama-Tennessee score will be on Saturday?

i love my VOLS but the score will be 42-14 Alabama.

...October 20, 2011
9:25 p.m.
NachoPappy_76 writes:
in response to jimbob:

The Kel-tec P32 chambers a decent cartridge, .32acp (7.65mm).

http://www.a-human-right.com/p32/perf...
...October 20, 2011
10:08 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
MsLogiclady writes:
in response to Growlearnlove:

``````````
On the bright side for Smoot, if he is guilty, going through divorce in Judge Swann's court will be the least of his worries. I'd say it is hard to pay alimony from prison.

I don't see where it says in the article where the divorce was filed in 4th circuit. It could have also been filed in chancery. OOP are in 4th circuit, but the divorce does not have to be in the same place.

Unless you have looked at the filings?

...October 20, 2011
10:48 p.m.
kelleysnyder#265259 writes:
I'm confused...if he was with her from whenever until around seven p.m., why did he need to text her twice during that time? The nature of the text, which was the same both time, could also be construed as him telling her not to "botch" something she was doing, perhaps for him?

I have been known to text someone I'm with, but usually when I've lost my husband or son in the store....

...October 20, 2011
10:57 p.m.
s99s writes:
in response to kelleysnyder#265259:

I'm confused...if he was with her from whenever until around seven p.m., why did he need to text her twice during that time? The nature of the text, which was the same both time, could also be construed as him telling her not to "botch" something she was doing, perhaps for him?

I have been known to text someone I'm with, but usually when I've lost my husband or son in the store....

or he could have shot her and then text her to look like he wasnt with her...thats ok though it will all come out and this killer will be in jail. Her life is gone and he destroyed so many more.

...October 21, 2011
12:38 a.m.
areone writes:
in response to s99s:

or he could have shot her and then text her to look like he wasnt with her...thats ok though it will all come out and this killer will be in jail. Her life is gone and he destroyed so many more.

She was not dead when he text her.She was found just after 8:00.and the family that lives in the house very colse to where Brooke was found said they heard what sounded like cats fighting and four quick gun shots just a few min before Brooke was found laying on the side of the road.And Mr.Smoot said he dropped her off in West Knoxville @ her car about 7:00.And if this were so as soon as he let her out of his car someone had to have got her and drove straight to Blair rd and killed her.It is a good 40 min drive from West Knoxville to Blair rd where Brooke was found.And that is if you know where you are going and you know those curvy country roads.I don't believe his story for one min. I don't know how he got her in that car or why he chose to bring her to Roane County.But I believe he prob had a plan as to where he was going with her.And I know Brooke was prob scared to death while he was driving her down that curvy country road.And I think she prob saw a house close to the road and took the opportunity ,trying to get away from him she jumped from his car.And he stopped the car got out and shot her.That is my firm belief!I think this man has been just waiting around to get his chance to kill Brooke Just as he threatened to.It is a shame he took a mother away from her three year old baby.And his reasoning is prob due to the fact he chose to cheat on his wife,got caught and Thank-God she left him just as she should have and he blamed Brooke for him loosing his wife.But I don't think the rest of his little plan to say he was temporarily insane is gonna work.

...October 21, 2011
2:26 a.m.
graniteball writes:

Quit trying to make excuses for this guy. Your probably the type of person that thinks murderers deserve a 2nd chance at rehabilitation while the victims never receive justice. People need to be held accountable for their actions. You need to be held accountable and so do I. Yes! I've already heard the B.S. responses too. "Only God can judge you." "Look in the mirror before you judge others." "Innocent until proven guilty." "Everyone deserves a 2nd chance." It's all B.S. and I'm tired of hearing it. Take some credit for your stupidity! The world owes you nothing because your parents decided to birth you. Sit down! Shut up! and Quit making excuses for the hedonistic trash of the world. Oh how I look forward to your irrational response. Your not fooling anyone. You don't feel normal unless your the contrarian. It would probably eat at your skin to agree with the majority. Your not special because your different. Your just a splinter in everyone's a**.

...October 21, 2011
8:12 a.m.
kmh writes:
in response to Panman:

It's no wonder the police have a hard time taking an order of protection seriously. Sounds as if it's more of a tool for intimidation. How unfortunate for those that seriously need protection.

We only have one side of the story - who says the girl went with him willingly? This is just his story of the events that took place. We will never know her story. Sounds like she needed protection from someone!!

Prayers to her family and especially her young son. Very sad!

...October 21, 2011
9:31 a.m.
goodolecountryboy writes:
in response to jimbob:

A .32 ACP cartridge fires a 7.65 diameter bullet. 7.65 is the metric equivalent of a .32 caliber bullet.

...October 21, 2011
11:13 a.m.
Stryker760 writes:
I, too, will watch this case closely. People have been convicted on circumstantial evidence, often. Going only by what is written in the article and the “circumstantial” evidence, I must say things don’t look good for Mr. Smoot.

Let’s see where this trial leads before jumping to conclusions. Trial by newspaper reporting is not wise.

My thoughts and prayers go out to this young lady’s family and friends. Their loss will be long felt and deeply seated. I am very sorry for your loss.

...October 21, 2011
12:25 p.m.
gradtrip writes:
in response to NachoPappy_76:

The Kel-tec P32 chambers a decent cartridge, .32acp (7.65mm).

http://www.a-human-right.com/p32/perf...

The Kel-tec P32 looks like a poor man's Seecamp.
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/oct/2 ... de-victim/

Insurance agent retains attorney, homicide victim remembered as 'sweet, fun-loving'
By Bob Fowler
Knoxville News Sentinel
Posted October 21, 2011 at 4 a.m.

The man under investigation for the killing of a 23-year-old Powell woman has retained veteran Knoxville criminal defense attorney James A.H. Bell, who on Thursday strongly maintained his client's innocence.

"He did not kill that woman," Bell said of Allstate Insurance agent Shawn Smoot, thus far the only "person of interest" named by authorities in the slaying of Brooke Nicole Morris.

A woman who knew Morris, meanwhile, described her Thursday as a "sweet, fun-loving personality," saying she had "a smile that could light up a room."

Bell said his office's investigation into authorities' accusations against Smoot should resume Monday with a "meaningful discussion" with prosecutors, whom Bell said are attending a legal conference this week.

Motorists found Morris' fully-clothed body shortly after 8 p.m. Saturday, sprawled on a Roane County roadway in the rural Dyllis community. Morris, who had resumed using her maiden name after a divorce, Gregg, had been shot in the head.

With funeral services set for her tonight at Son Light Baptist Church in the Fountain City area, the victim was remembered Thursday by a woman who said she was "like a second daughter."

"She had a smile that could light up a room," said Jennifer Hedgecock of Loudon. "She and her sister Brittany were my children's baby sitters. My daughter and son grew up with Brooke and Brittany."

Hedgecock said Brooke Morris used to work at Parkwest Medical Center, but she learned via Facebook that she'd landed a job at Allstate Insurance. "She was very excited about it," Hedgecock said. "She was working on her property and casualty license."

The victim in January obtained an order of protection against Smoot and referred to him in the order as her "ex-boyfriend and boss."

The order described Smoot as "out of control and violent" and detailed several incidents — from November through mid-January — where Smoot had physically assaulted her and threatened to kill her.

Smoot and his wife separated Jan. 5, according to her divorce complaint. The order of protection states Smoot attacked Morris that day at Morris' residence, choking her after she received a text message.

Morris' husband, Clayton Morris, divorced her Nov. 5, 2010, and the divorce judgment states the split-up was due to her "inappropriate marital conduct."

Morris in her order of protection describes an incident in Smoot's truck that month where he choked her, "threw his phone and broke the windshield in his truck."

On that occasion, "He told me he would kill me if I told his wife he was cheating on her," the order states.

Authorities late Sunday afternoon executed a search warrant at Smoot's Hidden Oak Way condo in Ashley Oak subdivision after determining he was the last known person to see Morris alive Saturday.

While Smoot early Sunday told an investigator he was with her between 1 and 6:30 or 7 p.m. Saturday, a check of cellphone records revealed he'd sent Morris two texts during that time, both with the same message — "Don't (expletive) this up."

Ammunition found in the condo is similar to two 7.65 mm bullet rounds and two shell casings found near Morris' body, according to the search warrant.

Smoot operates the Shawn Smoot Agency, 10710 Kingston Pike. A woman answering the phone there Thursday said the office was open for business but Smoot was unavailable.

Bell on Thursday wouldn't reveal Smoot's whereabouts. "It's none of your business where he is," Bell said.

Smoot on his Shawn Smoot Allstate Facebook page wrote that he's a former Army National Guard officer and an Iraqi War veteran.

Comments

October 21, 2011
4:12 a.m.
nemesis443 writes:
There is a rule of thumb. When a woman is murdered, look at current or former husband/boyfriend first. Houston, I think we have a match!

...October 21, 2011
6:51 a.m.
PeterBiggs writes:
"Don't (expletive) this up."

Ya think, Shawn?

...October 21, 2011
7:28 a.m.
ohnoitsyoko writes:
in response to nemesis443:

There is a rule of thumb. When a woman is murdered, look at current or former husband/boyfriend first. Houston, I think we have a match!

Yep, you're right. He may be a "person of interest" momentarily, but that's usually police-speak for "he's the guy". It's almost always somebody the victim knew, and when it's a female victim, it's usually husband/boyfriend/ex.

...October 21, 2011
8:09 a.m.
oldhippie57 writes:
So he hired Bell? I once talked to him about a DUI, 12 to 15 grand to get started. Wonder what Smoot is paying to maintain his innocence?

...October 21, 2011
8:14 a.m.
PeterBiggs writes:
in response to oldhippie57:

So he hired Bell? I once talked to him about a DUI, 12 to 15 grand to get started. Wonder what Smoot is paying to maintain his innocence?

it's gonna be tough for Smoot, IF ballistics matches the casings from the scene to a similar gun that he owns. The tex messages wont' help him either.

...October 21, 2011
8:46 a.m.
MickiJames writes:
Guilty!!

...October 21, 2011
jplummartin#251724 writes:

...October 21, 2011
deerman writes:
Yeah Bell, Raynella was innocent too.

...October 21, 2011
9:28 a.m.
Manner11 writes:
His story already doesn't check out and hmm bullets in house as found at scene. Sure common bullet but hardly a coincidence. No charges made or anything and lawyered up already? Walks like a Duck ...

...October 21, 2011
10:29 a.m.
hojo0710 writes:
Sounds like a familiar story. Older guy (but how old?) becomes infatuated with 'fun-loving' younger woman, from all accounts a wild child who is not ready to settle down, in spite of having been married and with a small son.

Sadly, even with the presumption of innocence, one life has ended and several have been ruined.

...October 21, 2011
11 a.m.
eagle555 writes:
Very sad case for all.

...October 21, 2011
11:28 a.m.
cocacolagirl writes:
guilty

...October 21, 2011
11:47 a.m.
madrigal writes:
He'd better get an attorney. I don't think he has any idea how big a sling his butt is in. He acts like the type that thinks he can get away with anything.......and they usually find out sometime or other that indeed they can't.

...October 21, 2011
12:02 p.m.

Guilty!!

Maybe so, but maybe not. Chew on this for a while and you may come to realize why we have jury trials.

The ex miss Smoot decides to get even with the cheating husband and the girlfriend that stole that husband. She knows he has a certain type of gun she knows who the girlfriend is. She buys the same type gun and follows girlfriend around untill the time the ex wont have a strong alibi. She forces girlfriend into the car at gun point and down the road they go. No more girlfriend and badda bing the ex is going up for 51 years. Stranger things have happened. I am in no way saying that IS what happened in this case. Just saying that it has occurred before and that is why we let a jury decide AFTER THEY have seen all the facts.

...October 21, 2011
12:34 p.m.

Maybe so, but maybe not. Chew on this for a while and you may come to realize why we have jury trials.

The ex miss Smoot decides to get even with the cheating husband and the girlfriend that stole that husband. She knows he has a certain type of gun she knows who the girlfriend is. She buys the same type gun and follows girlfriend around untill the time the ex wont have a strong alibi. She forces girlfriend into the car at gun point and down the road they go. No more girlfriend and badda bing the ex is going up for 51 years. Stranger things have happened. I am in no way saying that IS what happened in this case. Just saying that it has occurred before and that is why we let a jury decide AFTER THEY have seen all the facts.

This indeed is a possibility.However Mr Smoot being ex-NG and Iraq War vet has the training to handle the gun.This is my take on it.Morris told Smoot's wife thus causing the divorce.Mr Smoot was going to lose his shirt in the divorce.He was pissed,called Morris and said he wanted to talk.One thing lead to another,bang,Morris is shot dead.Morris' OP stats that Smoot is prone to violence towards her.I believe she even had emails from Smoot threatening her life.Regardless of the outcome this young girl is dead.Very sad indeed for her family and friends.

...October 21, 2011
1:52 p.m.
Socaltngal writes:
If one thing is for sure....you cannot believe everything you read in the paper! they will and do put what ever they want...even if later they have to go back and retrack what they wrote....

with that...Domestive Violence is serious...and an average of over 66,000 cases of DV are reported in TN ea yr!
Orders of Protection are only a piece of paper and until someone dies do we hear about what is really going on! I am certain that if she got an order of protection it was Just! not an easy thing for anyone to do....and you do it out of fear and in hopes of getting help and protection....to which the one seeking help is often "forgotten" "dismissed" even "ignored"
Money pays for innocence not evidence!

I believe he should be held accountable for his actions...I dont believe his wife did this...and sadly until the System steps up and truely protects those w/ orders of protection, and provides them the constant support, more will end up dead....
And if you should question her being with him inspite of Protection Order...there may have been a "honey can we talk about this and get the Order dropped??" btw with an order of protection against him, he had no business possessing fire arms...stated clearly in the order! hmmmm charges for sure on that along with intimidating a witness, violation of Protection order...these carry sentences of and up to 18 mo!
Anyone interested in stopping violence and seeing justice for Morris can enundate our local state offices by filing a petition at Change.org
Is it necessary for the newspaper to disrepect the Ms Morris stating business about her divorce? She cannnot respond to accusations attacking her character! Are they justifying her death by making such remarks? Smoot was a married man,yes, but having an affair witha married man is not grounds for being murdered!
This is all my opinion....I could be wrong!
Did I read she is a mom? ......Another child loses a mom to a man who has no respect for women! I would love to hear what his ex has to say! I am sure this is a pattern not a new thing!

...October 21, 2011
2:14 p.m.
joeblow writes:

wrong yesterday and wrong today. time for that other screen name to come out.

...October 21, 2011
2:24 p.m.
goodboy writes:

...October 21, 2011
3:48 p.m.
mtnsvol44 writes:
I've always wondered why reporters even bother to interview a defense attorney, As the old story goes "if his lips are moving---------!!!"

...October 21, 2011
5:03 p.m.
johgloh writes:
Why would a young woman even want him? He looks like Mr. Potato Head.

...October 21, 2011
6:46 p.m.
cln623#615162 writes:
in response to johgloh:

Can't help but agree with you there... Sad situation though...

...October 21, 2011
8:55 p.m.
d.lay69#404443 writes:
Money!

...October 21, 2011
9 p.m.
That_pesky_little_blind_spot writes:
She may have felt desparate at first,(to get involved with a married man) but God forbid she cared enough about herself at a later date to want to end it.He sounds like a control freak and a rat-***tard when he doesnt get his way,and if he's guilty of this young womans murder;one of the "sistas" in prison may have THEIR way and make him wear a garter belt and stiletto's.

...October 21, 2011
9:07 p.m.
dandfromtn writes:
Folks, he has not been charged with anything. Let's wait awhile before we lynch him.

...October 21, 2011
9:23 p.m.
Frapples writes:
in response to goodboy:

Ex Mrs Smoot was out of town you jack $$$. Don't even start that bull.

...October 21, 2011
Frapples writes:

Ex Mrs. Smoot was out of town you lowlife. Don't even start bull that you know nothing about.

...October 21, 2011
10:49 p.m.
forumgoblin writes:
in response to Frapples:

Ex Mrs. Smoot was out of town you lowlife. Don't even start bull that you know nothing about.

It is a plausible explanation until disproved by authorities. And just because someone proposes it..you attack their character?

The guy cooked his goose when he spoke with police and placed himself with her right before her death. It is just a matter of time till they get enough physical evidence to convict.

...October 22, 2011
1:22 a.m.
in response to forumgoblin:

It is a plausible explanation until disproved by authorities. And just because someone proposes it..you attack their character?

The guy cooked his goose when he spoke with police and placed himself with her right before her death. It is just a matter of time till they get enough physical evidence to convict.

Thank you for at least reading my whole post and not reacting like joe and frapples. If they had read the WHOLE post they would have seen I said I didn't think my scenario was what happened in this case but it is the reason we have juries decide a persons innocence or guilt. Thank goodness we have that in place with some people so quick to judge a man on just a couple of news paper articles! A drug deal gone bad is also just as plausible until it is disproved. Do I think it was the ex-wife or a drug deal gone bad? Not for a second. Do I think it was Mr Smoot? Yes sir I do. But my thinking he did it and my being able to prove it are, from all that I have read in the paper about it,polar opposites. Just because someone gets a gut feeling about something doesn't mean they can prove that gut feeling as factual to a jury. And that was my point, that some posters were ready to lynch Mr. Smoot without so much as a show trial.

...October 22, 2011
1:31 a.m.

This indeed is a possibility.However Mr Smoot being ex-NG and Iraq War vet has the training to handle the gun.This is my take on it.Morris told Smoot's wife thus causing the divorce.Mr Smoot was going to lose his shirt in the divorce.He was pissed,called Morris and said he wanted to talk.One thing lead to another,bang,Morris is shot dead.Morris' OP stats that Smoot is prone to violence towards her.I believe she even had emails from Smoot threatening her life.Regardless of the outcome this young girl is dead.Very sad indeed for her family and friends.

That is my feeling about it also. As I said at the end of my post I don't believe the ex was connected in any way other than being another victim. The point I was making is it may not have been Mr. Smoot, and we should let a jury decide it they think, after seeing all the evidence, he was the killer. Who knows, it could have been a paid hit. But that is for the police to find out and a jury to decide, not a couple of newspaper site posters. Thank you truth for living up to your screen name.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Re: Knoxville insurance executive's home searched in Roane m

Unread postby RatPak11 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:07 pm

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/oct/2 ... de-victim/

Insurance agent retains attorney, homicide victim remembered as 'sweet, fun-loving'
By Bob Fowler
Knoxville News Sentinel
Posted October 21, 2011 at 4 a.m.

The man under investigation for the killing of a 23-year-old Powell woman has retained veteran Knoxville criminal defense attorney James A.H. Bell, who on Thursday strongly maintained his client's innocence.

"He did not kill that woman," Bell said of Allstate Insurance agent Shawn Smoot, thus far the only "person of interest" named by authorities in the slaying of Brooke Nicole Morris.

A woman who knew Morris, meanwhile, described her Thursday as a "sweet, fun-loving personality," saying she had "a smile that could light up a room."

Bell said his office's investigation into authorities' accusations against Smoot should resume Monday with a "meaningful discussion" with prosecutors, whom Bell said are attending a legal conference this week.

Motorists found Morris' fully-clothed body shortly after 8 p.m. Saturday, sprawled on a Roane County roadway in the rural Dyllis community. Morris, who had resumed using her maiden name after a divorce, Gregg, had been shot in the head.

With funeral services set for her tonight at Son Light Baptist Church in the Fountain City area, the victim was remembered Thursday by a woman who said she was "like a second daughter."

"She had a smile that could light up a room," said Jennifer Hedgecock of Loudon. "She and her sister Brittany were my children's baby sitters. My daughter and son grew up with Brooke and Brittany."

Hedgecock said Brooke Morris used to work at Parkwest Medical Center, but she learned via Facebook that she'd landed a job at Allstate Insurance. "She was very excited about it," Hedgecock said. "She was working on her property and casualty license."

The victim in January obtained an order of protection against Smoot and referred to him in the order as her "ex-boyfriend and boss."

The order described Smoot as "out of control and violent" and detailed several incidents — from November through mid-January — where Smoot had physically assaulted her and threatened to kill her.

Smoot and his wife separated Jan. 5, according to her divorce complaint. The order of protection states Smoot attacked Morris that day at Morris' residence, choking her after she received a text message.

Morris' husband, Clayton Morris, divorced her Nov. 5, 2010, and the divorce judgment states the split-up was due to her "inappropriate marital conduct."

Morris in her order of protection describes an incident in Smoot's truck that month where he choked her, "threw his phone and broke the windshield in his truck."

On that occasion, "He told me he would kill me if I told his wife he was cheating on her," the order states.

Authorities late Sunday afternoon executed a search warrant at Smoot's Hidden Oak Way condo in Ashley Oak subdivision after determining he was the last known person to see Morris alive Saturday.

While Smoot early Sunday told an investigator he was with her between 1 and 6:30 or 7 p.m. Saturday, a check of cellphone records revealed he'd sent Morris two texts during that time, both with the same message — "Don't (expletive) this up."

Ammunition found in the condo is similar to two 7.65 mm bullet rounds and two shell casings found near Morris' body, according to the search warrant.

Smoot operates the Shawn Smoot Agency, 10710 Kingston Pike. A woman answering the phone there Thursday said the office was open for business but Smoot was unavailable.

Bell on Thursday wouldn't reveal Smoot's whereabouts. "It's none of your business where he is," Bell said.

Smoot on his Shawn Smoot Allstate Facebook page wrote that he's a former Army National Guard officer and an Iraqi War veteran.

Comments

October 21, 2011
4:12 a.m.
nemesis443 writes:

...October 21, 2011
6:51 a.m.
PeterBiggs writes:
"Don't (expletive) this up."

Ya think, Shawn?

...October 21, 2011
7:28 a.m.
ohnoitsyoko writes:
in response to nemesis443:

Yep, you're right. He may be a "person of interest" momentarily, but that's usually police-speak for "he's the guy". It's almost always somebody the victim knew, and when it's a female victim, it's usually husband/boyfriend/ex.

...October 21, 2011
8:09 a.m.
oldhippie57 writes:

...October 21, 2011
8:14 a.m.
PeterBiggs writes:
in response to oldhippie57:

it's gonna be tough for Smoot, IF ballistics matches the casings from the scene to a similar gun that he owns. The tex messages wont' help him either.

...October 21, 2011
MickiJames writes:
Guilty!!

...October 21, 2011
jplummartin#251724 writes:

...October 21, 2011
deerman writes:
Yeah Bell, Raynella was innocent too.

...October 21, 2011
9:28 a.m.
Manner11 writes:
His story already doesn't check out and hmm bullets in house as found at scene. Sure common bullet but hardly a coincidence. No charges made or anything and lawyered up already? Walks like a Duck ...

...October 21, 2011
10:29 a.m.
hojo0710 writes:
Sounds like a familiar story. Older guy (but how old?) becomes infatuated with 'fun-loving' younger woman, from all accounts a wild child who is not ready to settle down, in spite of having been married and with a small son.

Sadly, even with the presumption of innocence, one life has ended and several have been ruined.

...October 21, 2011
11 a.m.
eagle555 writes:
Very sad case for all.

...October 21, 2011
11:28 a.m.
cocacolagirl writes:
guilty

...October 21, 2011
11:47 a.m.
madrigal writes:
He'd better get an attorney. I don't think he has any idea how big a sling his butt is in. He acts like the type that thinks he can get away with anything.......and they usually find out sometime or other that indeed they can't.

...October 21, 2011
12:02 p.m.

Guilty!!

...October 21, 2011
12:34 p.m.

...October 21, 2011
1:52 p.m.
Socaltngal writes:
If one thing is for sure....you cannot believe everything you read in the paper! they will and do put what ever they want...even if later they have to go back and retrack what they wrote....

with that...Domestive Violence is serious...and an average of over 66,000 cases of DV are reported in TN ea yr!
Orders of Protection are only a piece of paper and until someone dies do we hear about what is really going on! I am certain that if she got an order of protection it was Just! not an easy thing for anyone to do....and you do it out of fear and in hopes of getting help and protection....to which the one seeking help is often "forgotten" "dismissed" even "ignored"
Money pays for innocence not evidence!

I believe he should be held accountable for his actions...I dont believe his wife did this...and sadly until the System steps up and truely protects those w/ orders of protection, and provides them the constant support, more will end up dead....
And if you should question her being with him inspite of Protection Order...there may have been a "honey can we talk about this and get the Order dropped??" btw with an order of protection against him, he had no business possessing fire arms...stated clearly in the order! hmmmm charges for sure on that along with intimidating a witness, violation of Protection order...these carry sentences of and up to 18 mo!
Anyone interested in stopping violence and seeing justice for Morris can enundate our local state offices by filing a petition at Change.org
Is it necessary for the newspaper to disrepect the Ms Morris stating business about her divorce? She cannnot respond to accusations attacking her character! Are they justifying her death by making such remarks? Smoot was a married man,yes, but having an affair witha married man is not grounds for being murdered!
This is all my opinion....I could be wrong!
Did I read she is a mom? ......Another child loses a mom to a man who has no respect for women! I would love to hear what his ex has to say! I am sure this is a pattern not a new thing!

...October 21, 2011
2:14 p.m.
joeblow writes:

wrong yesterday and wrong today. time for that other screen name to come out.

...October 21, 2011
2:24 p.m.
goodboy writes:

...October 21, 2011
3:48 p.m.
mtnsvol44 writes:
I've always wondered why reporters even bother to interview a defense attorney, As the old story goes "if his lips are moving---------!!!"

...October 21, 2011
5:03 p.m.
johgloh writes:

...October 21, 2011
6:46 p.m.
cln623#615162 writes:
in response to johgloh:

Can't help but agree with you there... Sad situation though...

...October 21, 2011
8:55 p.m.
d.lay69#404443 writes:
Money!

...October 21, 2011
9 p.m.
That_pesky_little_blind_spot writes:
She may have felt desparate at first,(to get involved with a married man) but God forbid she cared enough about herself at a later date to want to end it.He sounds like a control freak and a rat-***tard when he doesnt get his way,and if he's guilty of this young womans murder;one of the "sistas" in prison may have THEIR way and make him wear a garter belt and stiletto's.

...October 21, 2011
9:07 p.m.
dandfromtn writes:
Folks, he has not been charged with anything. Let's wait awhile before we lynch him.

...October 21, 2011
9:23 p.m.
Frapples writes:
in response to goodboy:

Ex Mrs Smoot was out of town you jack $$$. Don't even start that bull.

...October 21, 2011
Frapples writes:

...October 21, 2011
10:49 p.m.
forumgoblin writes:
in response to Frapples:

...October 22, 2011
1:22 a.m.
in response to forumgoblin:

Thank you for at least reading my whole post and not reacting like joe and frapples. If they had read the WHOLE post they would have seen I said I didn't think my scenario was what happened in this case but it is the reason we have juries decide a persons innocence or guilt. Thank goodness we have that in place with some people so quick to judge a man on just a couple of news paper articles! A drug deal gone bad is also just as plausible until it is disproved. Do I think it was the ex-wife or a drug deal gone bad? Not for a second. Do I think it was Mr Smoot? Yes sir I do. But my thinking he did it and my being able to prove it are, from all that I have read in the paper about it,polar opposites. Just because someone gets a gut feeling about something doesn't mean they can prove that gut feeling as factual to a jury. And that was my point, that some posters were ready to lynch Mr. Smoot without so much as a show trial.

...October 22, 2011
1:31 a.m.

That is my feeling about it also. As I said at the end of my post I don't believe the ex was connected in any way other than being another victim. The point I was making is it may not have been Mr. Smoot, and we should let a jury decide it they think, after seeing all the evidence, he was the killer. Who knows, it could have been a paid hit. But that is for the police to find out and a jury to decide, not a couple of newspaper site posters. Thank you truth for living up to your screen name.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Re: Knoxville insurance executive's home searched in murder

Unread postby RatPak11 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:11 pm

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/224299 ... himself-in

Knox man charged with murder on most wanted list
1:37 PM, Jun 26, 2012

The man accused of killing a Knoxville woman whose body was found in Roane County last year is now on the sheriff's most-wanted list.

A grand jury indicted Shawn Smoot with first degree murder last week in the death of Brooke Nicole Morris.

Smoot told the Roane County District Attorney he would turn himself in Monday in time for his arraignment, but he didn't show up.

The D.A.'s office says Smoot is in Mississippi. Prosecutors say a deputy is watching him and knows his whereabouts.

There is a warrant out for his arrest.

A Knoxville man charged in the murder of a former employee did not show up in court Monday morning as promised, so authorities have issued a warrant for his arrest.

Last week, a Roane County grand jury indicted Shawn Smoot for first degree murder in the death of Brooke Nicole Morris. The 23-year-old Knoxville woman's body was found in October 2011. She had been shot to death.

Morris's mother was in court Monday and she said she was glad Smoot did not show up. If he had shown up, his bail would have been set at $100,000. Since he did not show, a judge denied bond for Smoot when he arrives. The District Attorney's office believes Smoot is in Mississippi.

When the indictment came down, Roane Co. Sheriff Jack Stockton said they had been in contact with Smoot's attorney, who said that Smoot was out of state. The attorney said that Smoot would turn himself in in time for his arraignment Monday morning. He didn't show up.

Morris had a "no contact order of protection" against Smoot.

According to those documents, Morris had worked for Smoot at his insurance office, and she claimed in the order of protection that they had an affair.

She told the court that Smoot had stalked and physically abused her, and even broke into her home between November 2010 and January 2011.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/jun/2 ... g-when-in/

Fugitive Smoot had shotgun, sleeping bag when stopped in Mississippi
By Bob Fowler
Knoxville News Sentinel
Posted June 28, 2012 at 4 a.m.

Mississippi authorities had been looking out for Shawn Smoot since Monday, when he failed to show up in Roane County for arraignment in a former employee's killing.

On Tuesday night, Pearl River County, Miss., authorities got their man. They stopped him in a Toyota Tundra.

When Sheriff David Allison ordered Smoot at gunpoint out of the vehicle, there were plenty of signs he was on the lam.

A loaded, pistol-grip 12-gauge shotgun was on the front seat, and sleeping bags, clothing and other personal items were in the vehicle, said Donnie Saucier, chief investigator for the far southwest Mississippi county's sheriff's department.

It was apparent, Saucier said, "He was trying to avoid capture."

Smoot, 40, charged with first-degree murder in the Oct. 15 shooting death of Powell resident Brooke Nicole Morris, 23, became the object of an intensive manhunt when he didn't show up in Roane County Criminal Court Monday morning.

Judge E. Eugene Eblen ordered him arrested and said if caught, he should be held without bond.

"Since Monday, we'd been looking for him pretty much nonstop," Saucier said.

Members of the U.S. Marshal's Service office out of Gulfport, Miss., were involved in the search at the request of Roane County District Attorney General Russell Johnson.

Had Smoot not been nabbed Tuesday night, U.S. Marshal searches by helicopter were in the works for Wednesday, Roane County Assistant District Attorney General Bill Reedy said.

Smoot "has a lot of friends" in Pearl River County, Saucier said, and authorities began getting tips about his whereabouts.

Authorities honed in late Tuesday afternoon on the southern part of the county, located just north of the Gulf of Mexico and bordering Louisiana.

Saucier said he was on the phone with Sheriff Allison when Allison spotted Smoot's green Tundra in the parking lot of a closed business just outside Picayune, Miss.

Saucier said Smoot complied without incident with the sheriff's orders at gunpoint to surrender.

If Smoot doesn't waive extradition, prosecutors will have to seek a governor's warrant for his return, and he has the right to a probable cause hearing in Mississippi, Reedy said.

Smoot's return to Roane County could take several weeks, he said.

Smoot formerly owned the Shawn Smoot Agency, an Allstate Insurance office on Kingston Pike in Knox County. Morris had been an employee.

They became involved in a relationship that eventually went awry, with Morris in January 2011 filing an order of protection against Smoot that described his physical assaults on her as well as death threats.

Smoot was the last person to see Morris alive Oct. 15. She was shot three times that day, and her body was found at the intersection of Blair and Old Blair roads in Roane County's Dyllis community.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/223666 ... s|bc|large

Victim's mother reacts to charges eight months after killing
1:43 AM, Jun 20, 2012

The mother of a woman found murdered along a Roane Co. road last October says she's happy a suspect is now in custody in her daughter's killing.

A Grand Jury indicted insurance agent Shawn Smoot on first degree murder charges in the death of Brooke Morris, 23. He was wanted Tuesday night, and authorities had made arrangements to take him into custody.

"We're proud that our DA's office and the Grand Jury acted the way they did today, looking at all the evidence that pointed to Mr. Smoot."

"Brooke was one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet," Morris' mother, Tina Gregg, said. "[She was] always happy and fun to be around."

A passerby found Morris' body with multiple gunshot wounds in October at the intersection of Blair and Old Blair roads.

She leaves behind a three-year-old son. "He doesn't realize that you can't go to heaven to see mom and come back," said Gregg.

For months, Morris' family has believed Smoot committed the crime.

"He's had plenty of time to do what he wanted to do. Brooke didn't have that option," Gregg said.

Morris had worked for Smoot at his insurance office. Before her death, a Knox County court granted a "no contact order" against Smoot. She claimed he previously threatened to kill her.

"It's been unimaginable for all of us; it's been awful," Gregg said.

She is eager to see the case move forward. "I'm ready to go. I'm ready to fight."

According to Stockton, Smoot was en route to Tennessee to turn himself in. In the meantime, Morris' family plans to celebrate her life Friday at Lynwood Cemetery in north Knoxville, where she is buried.

The ceremony will take place at 7:00 p.m. and is open to the public.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.local8now.com/news/headlines ... 79155.html

Shawn Smoot - accused of Brooke Morris murder - won't waive extradition
Wed 11:20 AM, Jun 27, 2012

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) - The man accused of killing Brooke Morris last October is finally in police custody, according to the Roane Co. Sheriff's Office. Authorities have been searching for Shawn Smoot since Monday when he failed to show up in court after agreeing to turn himself in.

Assistant District Attorney Bill Reedy said Pearl River Co. Sheriff David Allison captured Smoot in a parking lot around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday night after the sheriff's department received a tip about Smoot's whereabouts.

Authorities said Smoot will not waive his right to extradition, which means it could take weeks to get him back to Tennessee.

A Grand Jury indicted Smoot on murder charges last Tuesday and he was scheduled to be arraigned on Monday. The Roane Co. District Attorney warned Smoot that authorities would go to Mississippi to arrest him if he didn't appear.

Morris' body was found in Roane County in October 2011 with two gunshot wounds to the head. She had filed an order of protection against him in January of that year.

According to the paperwork, she called Smoot, "Out of control and violent," and said he'd told her his wife had found out about their affair. She said, "Shawn told me he had been looking into if he killed me, he would plead temporary insanity because i broke up his marriage. Shawn said he would only get 5 or 6 years in prison."

Not long after the murder, TBI agents searched Smoot's west Knoxville condo.

The search warrant lays out the basic facts of the case: Morris was found shot in the head around 8 o'clock on October 15th, with two 7.66mm rounds and shell casings near her body. It shows Smoot told authorities he'd picked Morris up on Cumberland Avenue that day around 1, and was with her until 6:30 or 7, when he dropped her off at her vehicle in the parking lot of Altruda's Restaurant in Knoxville. The warrant said he was the last known person to see her alive.

The search warrant also shows Smoot owned a .32 caliber gun, which uses the type of bullet found near Morris' body, and details several text messages he sent her on October 15th.

The TBI seized a box of the 7.66mm of bullets from Smoot's condo, along with a cell phone and a gunbox containing an instruction manuel for a .32 caliber gun.
Last edited by RatPak11 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:12 pm

http://www.local8now.com/news/headlines ... 63265.html

Smoot pleads not guilty to Brooke Morris murder
Mon 11:00 AM, Jul 09, 2012

KINGSTON, Tenn. (WVLT) -- The man accused of killing Brooke Morris last October pleaded not guilty to first degree murder charges on Monday.

Shawn Smoot was not in the Roane Co. courtroom as a waiver of arraignment was filed and his plea was entered. The court also appointed Walter Johnson to defend him. Smoot is due back in court on Nov. 9.

Smoot was with the October 2011 murder of Brooke Morris. The 23 years old was found on the side of a Roane County road with two gunshot wounds to the head.

Morris had filed an order of protection against him in January of that year. According to the paperwork, she called Smoot, "Out of control and violent," and said he'd told her his wife had found out about their affair. She said, "Shawn told me he had been looking into if he killed me, he would plead temporary insanity because I broke up his marriage. Shawn said he would only get 5 or 6 years in prison."

Not long after the murder, TBI agents searched Smoot's west Knoxville condo. The search warrant laid out the basic facts of the case: Morris was found shot in the head around 8 o'clock on October 15th, with two 7.66mm rounds and shell casings near her body. It shows Smoot told authorities he'd picked Morris up on Cumberland Avenue that day around 1, and was with her until 6:30 or 7, when he dropped her off at her vehicle in the parking lot of Altruda's Restaurant in Knoxville. The warrant said he was the last known person to see her alive.

The search warrant also shows Smoot owned a .32 caliber gun, which uses the type of bullet found near Morris' body, and details several text messages he sent her on October 15th.

The TBI seized a box of the 7.66mm of bullets from Smoot's condo, along with a cell phone and a gunbox containing an instruction manuel for a .32 caliber gun.

After he was indicted last month, Smoot was supposed to turn himself in on Monday morning, but never showed up for court. Police conducted a multi-state manhunt to find him, eventually tracking him down in Mississippi and returning him to Tennessee.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:34 pm

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/jul/1 ... ot-waives/

Homicide defendant Shawn Smoot waives arraignment
By Bob Fowler
Knoxville News Sentinel
Posted July 10, 2012 at 4 a.m

KINGSTON — Homicide defendant Shawn N. Smoot will remain behind bars until Aug. 10, and if prosecutors have their way, he'll stay in jail after a bond hearing scheduled then.

Smoot, 40, accused of the Oct. 15 shooting death of 23-year-old Brooke Nicole Morris in Roane County, sat shackled in an office area behind a Roane County Criminal Court courtroom Monday morning while the county's assistant public defender waived Smoot's arraignment.

Prosecutors said they intend to oppose allowing any bond for Smoot and will call two lawmen to testify that he was trying to avoid capture when he was arrested June 26.

When nabbed at gunpoint by the sheriff of Pearl River County, Miss., that evening, Smoot's Toyota Tundra contained a loaded, pistol-grip 12-gauge shotgun, sleeping bag and other personal effects.

Assistant District Attorney General Bill Reedy said the Mississippi sheriff and his chief investigator would be asked to testify as material witnesses in the bond hearing.

Smoot's roommate while he was living in Pearl River County may also be asked to testify, Reedy said.

Original bond for Smoot was set at $100,000 after he was indicted on a charge of first-degree murder June 18 by a Roane County grand jury.

Criminal Court Judge E. Eugene Eblen took that bond off the table and ordered his arrest when Smoot didn't show up for a June 25 arraignment.

The judge on Monday scheduled the bond hearing and a Nov. 9 status report on the first-degree murder indictment.

In his affidavit of indigency, Smoot said he could make bond, but didn't indicate whether he or his family was able to hire a private attorney.

It's the judge's decision on whether a defendant receives a public defender's services, District Attorney General Russell Johnson said.

Smoot stated on the affidavit that he had been working a varied schedule in construction in Pearl River County and owned two vehicles and personal property.

Smoot previously owned the Shawn Smoot Agency, an Allstate Insurance office on Kingston Pike in Knox County.

He and Morris, a Powell resident, became romantically involved while she was working at the agency, but that relationship turned sour amid accusations that Smoot had physically attacked Morris and threatened her.

Morris was shot three times, and her body was found on a road in Roane County's rural Dyliss community.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:48 am

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/aug/1 ... -smoot-02/

Judge sets $250,000 bond in Shawn Smoot case
By Bob Fowler
Knoxville News Sentinel
Posted August 16, 2012 at 5:56 p.m.

KINGSTON — A judge has set a $250,000 bond for accused killer Shawn Smoot and decreed that if he posts bond, he would have to report twice a month to the probation office in Kingston.

In addition, Roane County Criminal Court Judge E. Eugene Eblen in his order requires Smoot to sign an extradition waiver form if he's released.

Smoot was named in June in a first-degree murder indictment in the shooting death of Powell resident Brooke Nicole Morris, 23, whose body was dumped on a rural road in Roane County on Oct. 15, 2011.

Smoot didn't show up as ordered for his June 25 arraignment, prompting the judge to issue a warrant for his arrest and ordering him held without bond if picked up.

Smoot was nabbed in Pearl River County, Miss., the next evening by that county's sheriff, who testified during an Aug. 9 bond hearing that a loaded shotgun was resting near Smoot's leg in the cab of his Toyota pickup when he was approached by authorities.

The sheriff called Smoot "on the run and desperate," and said camping equipment and extra clothes were in his vehicle.

Prosecutor Bill Reedy in the bond hearing urged that bond should be at least $500,000, while Walter Johnson, the assistant public defender appointed to represent Smoot, argued that court custom called for a $51,000 bond.

Smoot, 40, a former Knoxville insurance agent, had been involved in a romantic relationship with Morris, who had worked in his insurance office, according to authorities.

Morris had taken out an order of protection against Smoot that detailed death threats and physical attacks.

As of Thursday evening, Smoot remained in the Roane County Jail.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:52 pm

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/mar/2 ... t-on-bond/

Smoot, accused murderer, released on $250,000 bond
By Bob Fowler
Knoxville News Sentinel
Posted March 26, 2013 at 4:02 p.m.

KINGSTON — Jailed since last summer, accused murderer Shawn Smoot has been released on a $250,000 bond.

Charged with the October 2011 shooting death of Powell resident Brooke Nicole Morris, 23, Smoot was released from the Roane County Jail on Tuesday, Roane County District Attorney General Russell Johnson said.

Bond was posted by N. Christian Smoot of Hoschton, Ga., according to Roane County Courthouse records. Shawn Smoot’s next court appearance is June 17 in Roane County, records indicate.

As part of his bond conditions, Shawn Smoot is to report twice a month to the state probation office in Kingston, not leave the state and have no contact with the victim’s family.

Shawn Smoot was a Knoxville insurance agent and Morris at one time worked in his office. They developed a romantic relationship that turned tumultuous, according to an order of protection that Morris had taken out against him.

Morris’ body was found on a rural road in Roane County on Oct. 15, 2011.

After he was indicted for first-degree murder last summer, Shawn Smoot failed to appear for arraignment on June 25 and was ordered arrested. He was found the next evening in Pearl River County, Miss., driving a Toyota pickup that contained a loaded shotgun and camping gear.

More details as they develop online and in Wednesday’s News Sentinel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.wate.com/story/21797143/susp ... ed-on-bond

Suspect in Roane County murder released on bond
Posted: Mar 26, 2013 9:47 AM PDT

KINGSTON (WATE) - The man wanted in the 2011 death of a 23-year-old Knoxville woman was released from jail Tuesday.

Shawn Smoot was released Tuesday morning after posting a $250,000 bond.

Smoot is the main suspect in the death of his ex-girlfriend, Brooke Nicole Morris, whose body was found by a Roane County road in October of 2011. She had been shot to death.

Prior to her death, Morris took out an order of protection against Smoot. In that order, she said her relationship with him had turned violent and that he had choked her, leaving bruises on her neck.

Investigators also said Morris and Smoot exchanged text messages on the day she died.

After Smoot was indicted in the case, he was ordered to turn himself in, but instead fled the area. He was later arrested in Mississippi, an area where he grew up, and extradited back to Roane County.

On Tuesday, Smoot was released from jail until his court date on the condition that he stay in Tennessee, maintain good behavior, check in with probations officers twice monthly and have no contact with Morris' family.

He is scheduled to be in court June 17.

Comments:
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:09 pm

http://www.wate.com/story/22612515/roan ... ets-lawyer

Roane County murder suspect Shawn Smoot gets new lawyer
Posted: Jun 17, 2013 12:08 PM PDT
By MIKE KRAFCIK
6 News Reporter

KINGSTON (WATE) – A former Knoxville insurance agent accused of killing a Roane County woman was given a new attorney Monday to represent him.

Shawn Smoot is accused of first degree murder in the 2011 death of his former girlfriend, Brooke Morris.

Smoot was not in court Monday when his attorney, Walter Johnson, filed a motion to no longer represent him.

Howard Vogel, a Knoxville-based attorney will now represent Smoot.

Johnson asked to be removed from the case because a conflict of interest surfaced after a statement recently filed by a witness turned out to be someone Johnson had previously represented.

Smoot's trial is not likely to take place until next year.

He became a suspect in Morris's death shortly after she was found dead of a gunshot wound on a Roane County road.

He was indicted on murder charges by a Roane County grand jury in July 2012, but failed to turn himself in as ordered.

Smoot was later captured in Mississippi.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:20 pm

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/jun/1 ... elayed-by/

Shawn Smoot murder trial likely delayed by defense attorney's withdrawal
By Bob Fowler
Knoxville News Sentinel
Posted June 18, 2013 at 4 a.m.

KINGSTON — Now that the public defender’s office has left the case, several motions filed by the state in the first-degree murder charge against former Knoxville insurance agent Shawn Smoot are on hold, and it’s unlikely his trial will be held this year, the prosecutor said Monday.

Smoot, 41, is accused of the shooting death of his former paramour and one-time employee Brooke Nicole Morris, 23, whose body was found on a rural Roane County road Oct. 15, 2011.

Assistant District Attorney General Bill Reedy said Monday that Assistant District Public Defender Walter Johnson withdrew from his court-appointed representation of Smoot.

The public defender’s office at one point represented a witness for the state who just recently came forward, Reedy said, and that represented a conflict that required Johnson to step down.

Reedy said Judge E. Eugene Eblen has appointed Knoxville attorney Robert Vogel to represent Smoot.

Whether Smoot is entitled to any taxpayer-funded attorney is the crux of one of several motions that Reedy has filed in the case.

The prosecutor contends Smoot’s affidavit of indigency “is not even close” to following guidelines for receiving a court-appointed attorney.

Smoot, the motion states, was “almost totally noncompliant” in answering questions posed on the affidavit.

The defendant stated he had income but didn’t say how much. He swore he owns two vehicles and “personal property” on the form, but didn’t give values to those assets, and didn’t answer a key question: “Can you or your family hire a private attorney?”

The prosecutor’s motion notes Smoot’s parents posted a $250,000 cash bond in March to secure his release from jail before trial. The motion also states Smoot signed a marital dissolution agreement two years ago that called for him to receive $71,600 for equity in a home in Gettysvue Way in Knoxville.

Smoot received more than $13,000 in other assets after his marriage dissolved, but the money isn’t mentioned in the affidavit. Also missing: the status of Smoot’s insurance agency in Knoxville and whether he still owns it or sold it.

Reedy in another motion asks that Smoot be outfitted with a “GPS ankle device to disclose his whereabouts on a continuous basis.”

The prosecutor also requests that Smoot relocate from his present living arrangements in Corryton because he lives too close to the victim’s sister and brother-in-law.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:59 pm

http://www.wate.com/story/22615467/murd ... out-safety

Murdered woman's family frustrated at justice system, worried about safety
Posted: Jun 17, 2013 6:22 PM PDT

By MONA NAIR
6 News Reporter

KNOXVILLE (WATE) – The family of a Roane County woman who was shot to death in 2011 says they feel like they have hit another roadblock in the path to justice.

Shawn Smoot, the man accused of killing Brooke Morris, was appointed a new attorney on Monday. The family says this latest courtroom move will slow down the case again.

Morris was 23 when she was found dead in October 2011. Smoot, her ex-boyfriend, fled to Mississippi where he was captured. He is now out on bond and awaiting trial.

Tina Gregg, Brooke's mother, was hoping to see Smoot in court Monday. He was not there.

"Well, of course I'm disappointed," she said.

"Everything is on hold until the new counsel gets a chance to get oriented with the case," explained Roane County Assistant District Attorney Bill Reedy.

For Brooke's family, Smoot's freedom while out on bond is an issue of safety.

"We're all afraid of running into him. He may know where we live," Gregg said.

Smoot lives in a house on Carina Lane in Corryton. He was not at home when 6 News stopped by.

The house is just a few miles from Brooke's sister. The family originally was hoping that the judge would move Monday on some motions that would help them feel safer.

"I think [Smoot] needs an ankle bracelet, a monitoring device," she said.

With the latest legal hold up, it's hard for the family to predict what the justice system will do next. They worry it might be months before their motions can be heard, dragging out the trauma of Brooke's murder even longer.

"It was 19 months yesterday. He's been out on bond since March. It's been held up and I'm ready to go to court," Gregg said.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:04 am

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/284210 ... d-attempts

Smoot's lawyers react to stricter bond attempts
9:46 PM, Aug 12, 2013

Lawyers for a man charged with killing his girlfriend say an attempt to up his bond is excessive and possibly unconstitutional.

In March, a judge granted a $250,000 bond to Shawn Smoot. Prosecutors charged Smoot for killing his former girlfriend and employee Brooke Morris in November 2011.

Smoot posted bond and is now free, but the state is pursuing a heftier bond.

Prosecutors want Smoot to wear a GPS ankle bracelet and move further away from Morris' family.

Smoot's lawyers responded and said Smoot has followed all the bond requirements. They said any further punishment would be excessive and possibly violate Smoot's constitutional rights.

Morris' mother, Tina Gregg, says the family worries because Smoot is free.

"I've seen the evidence and I know he'll be convicted. It's just not coming fast enough and when he was in jail, it was okay, we didn't have to worry so much, he was in jail. Now, he's not and that's a daily struggle," said Gregg.

In June 2012, Smoot failed to show up for an arraignment and was arrested in Mississippi with camping gear and a loaded gun the next day.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Knox County woman files order of protection against murder suspect Shawn Smoot
Posted: Nov 04, 2013 1:32 PM PST

KNOXVILLE (WATE) - A Knox County woman was granted a temporary order of protection Monday against Roane County murder suspect Shawn Smoot.

In the filing, Kimberly Isenberg says Smoot pulled up beside her vehicle in a hair salon parking lot on Oct. 31.

She says Smooth began asking how she was and asked if she was stalking him.

Isenberg says this was the second time Smoot showed up at the hair salon. She said he walked into the salon on Aug. 20 while Isenberg was getting her hair washed.

She says he walked around, grabbed her arm, and said he had been looking for her.

Isenberg said she was afraid Smoot was stalking her. She had broken off all contact with Smoot in September 2011 when he was charged with murdering girlfriend Brooke Nicole Morris in Roane County.

Morris had also filed an order of protection against Smoot.

Smoot is out of jail on bond.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments:

sounds like it is time for Ms. Isenberg to get a handgun carry permit
Chris Ridings

I cannot believe that this man is still out. It sickens me. Why on earth would this piece of scum not be locked up under the jail...? If he is still out there bothering women, how does the police dept. not see this as a problem. Something needs to seriously be done about this.
buford

This should give enough cause to revoke his bond and lock his sorry **** in jail.
Heyguys

Kimberly, I hope you see this. An Ex-Parte Order or the final Order is all you can do at this point. You are doing what you can. Please remember it's only a piece of paper that gives law enforcement the ability to make a warrantless on a misdemeanor charge. Do what you can to protect yourself. If you believe you are in danger leave town if you can, stay with a friend. You shouldn't have to go to those extremes but your safety and those of any family members are what is important now. Good luck.
Crime

CRIMINAL justice system. They have all the rights.
larry

why is he even out???... when he was indicted he fled to another state and was on the run... he was found and had weapons, so no surprise here and what he is doing now...
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Re: Allstate Agent Shawn Smoot Suspect In Murder Investigati

Unread postby RatPak11 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:42 pm

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/ki ... l/4308421/

Prosecutors want accused murderer back in jail
WBIR Staff, WBIR 4:12 p.m. EST January 3, 2014

Roane County prosecutors want an accused murderer back behind bars, but their request has stalled.

Shawn Smoot is charged with first degree murder in the death of Brooke Morris, his former employee and girlfriend. He is currently living in Knoxville while he awaits his trial.

The District Attorney General's office wants to revoke Smoot's bond after a judge granted an order of protection against him. A woman in Knoxville filed the request in November, accusing Smoot of harassing and stalking her.

The DAG's office filed a bond revocation request in November but the woman who filed the order of protection doesn't want to testify, so the hearing hasn't been held.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:08 pm

http://www.wate.com/story/25312485/murd ... inn-county

Murder suspect Shawn Smoot arrested for DUI in McMinn County
Posted: Apr 22, 2014 2:14 PM PDT

ATHENS (WATE) - Roane County murder suspect Shawn Smoot has been arrested for DUI in another county.
Deputies in McMinn County say they've charged Smoot for DUI, violation of the implied consent law and resisting arrest.

Smoot is accused of first degree murder in the 2011 death of his former girlfriend, Brooke Morris.
He became a suspect in Morris's death shortly after she was found dead of a gunshot wound on a Roane County road.

He was indicted on murder charges in July 2012, but failed to turn himself in as ordered. Smoot was later captured in Mississippi.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:40 am

http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/20 ... 1k9Y1VdXAk

Out on bond, slaying suspect Shawn Smoot arrested on DUI charge
April 23, 2014
By Bob Fowler, The Knoxville News-Sentinel, Tenn.
McClatchy-Tribune Information Services

April 23--Accused murderer Shawn Smoot's 13 months of freedom, bankrolled by his parents, may soon be coming to an end following a late-night arrest Monday for DUI.

Smoot, nabbed in McMinn County after a deputy spotted him making a U-turn on U.S. Highway 11, has also been charged with resisting arrest and violation of the implied consent law for refusing to take a field sobriety test.

Charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death in October 2011 of 23-year-old Powell resident Brooke Nicole Morris, Smoot was released from Roane County Jail in March 2013 on a $250,000 cash bond posted by his parents.

"One of the conditions of his bond was not to consume alcohol," Assistant District Attorney General Bill Reedy said. He said Smoot's arrest for DUI "is a big problem."

As a result, the state will seek to revoke Smoot's bond, which was posted by his parents, District Attorney General Russell Johnson said.

Several weeks ago, Smoot was allowed to relocate to Ocoee, Tenn., after he reportedly lost a job in the Knoxville area, Reedy said. He had moved in with a friend in a bid to find employment in the Cleveland, Tenn., area, the prosecutor said. "He thought his chances to get a job there were markedly better," Reedy said.

When Smoot was stopped shortly before midnight Monday, McMinn County Deputy Doug Benton reported Smoot appeared confused, was slurring his speech and there was a strong odor of alcohol emanating from him and his vehicle. There were "several empty liquor bottles" in the vehicle, the deputy stated in his incident report.

The deputy reported that Smoot became combative, drew up his feet "as to kick at me," and slid along the back seat of the police cruiser while the officer said he was trying to retrieve car keys from Smoot's pocket, which ripped open during the struggle.

Smoot, 42, remains in the McMinn County Jail.

A former Knoxville insurance executive, Smoot quickly became the primary suspect in the shooting death of his former paramour and employee, whose body was found on a rural Roane County road on Oct. 15, 2011.

The couple's romantic relationship had turned tumultuous several months before, with Morris at one point swearing out an order of protection after one allegedly violent episode.

Smoot was indicted for first-degree murder in June 2012 but he didn't show up for his arraignment in Roane County Criminal Court on June 25 and was ordered arrested. He was found the next evening in Pearl River County, Miss., driving a Toyota pickup that contained a loaded shotgun and camping gear.

While he was out on bond, Smoot was required to report weekly to the probation officer in Roane County, Reedy said. That requirement was still in effect since his move to Ocoee, he said.

Motions in Smoot's trial are scheduled on July 7, and his murder trial is slated to begin July 30. Knoxville attorney Tom Slaughter has been hired to represent him, Johnson said.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/crime/20 ... t/8055187/

Bond revoked for murder suspect Shawn Smoot
WBIR Staff, WBIR 3:08 p.m. EDT April 23, 2014

A Knoxville man charged with killing his former girlfriend will be back behind bars, after his bond was revoked following a DUI arrest.

Shawn Smoot was charged with first degree murder in the death of Brooke Morris in Roane County. She was his former employee and girlfriend. He was out on bond until his trial, which was set for July 30.

Now a Roane County judge has revoked that bond, after Smoot was arrested in McMinn County and charged with DUI, resisting arrest, and violation of implied consent.

According to court documents, a deputy pulled Smoot over on Highway 11 in Ocoee, Tennessee, Monday night after dispatchers received a report of a reckless driver. The deputy said there was a strong smell of alcohol coming from the car and Smoot, and that he seemed to be confused as to where he was going.

The deputy said he asked Smoot three times to step out of the car to take a field sobriety test. He refused, but after the third request, the deputy said Smoot got out of the car but put his hand in his pocket. The officer then put Smoot up against the car and handcuffed him and told him he was under arrest.

When the deputy ran Smoot's drivers license and tags, he learned that he was out on bond for first degree murder and had violent tendencies. He put Smoot in the back of his patrol car, and waited for a wrecker to show up to tow the car.

The deputy said when he tried to get Smoot's car keys out of his pocket to get into the locked vehicle, "he yelled not to touch him and he became combative, drawing his feet up as to kick at me and was sliding across the back seat while my hand was in his pocket."

The pocket was torn free in the struggle, but the deputy got the keys. When he searched the car, he found several empty liquor bottles. Smoot was taken to the McMinn County Justice Center, but was later released.

Authorities are currently looking for Smoot so he can be arrested and held until a hearing can be held.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:09 pm

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2014/may/0 ... weeks-aft/

No sign of murder defendant Shawn Smoot, two weeks after DUI arrest
By Matt Lakin
Posted May 3, 2014 at 5 a.m.

Shawn Nelson Smoot walked out the door of the McMinn County jail last month and hasn't been seen since, authorities say.

Nearly two weeks later, the search continues for Smoot, 42, who prosecutors say stands to forfeit a quarter-million-dollar bond and disappeared while awaiting trial on a charge of first-degree murder.

The former Knoxville insurance executive had been free on bond for more than a year and would have gone to trial in July in the October 2011 death of Brooke Nicole Morris, 23, who once worked for him. Now a judge has revoked his bond, and prosecutors have called in the U.S. Marshals Service to help track him down.

Efforts so far have yielded “no news,” said Russell Johnson, 9th Judicial District attorney general.

Smoot’s lawyer, Tom Slaughter, wouldn’t say whether he’s heard from Smoot since the McMinn County arrest.

“We’re waiting to see what happens over in McMinn County,” Slaughter said. “We’ll have to deal with the facts as they come in.”

Under terms previously set for his bond in the killing, he’s supposed to check in with authorities on Monday, according to Johnson.

Smoot had moved to neighboring Bradley County for a job with a judge’s approval when a McMinn County deputy pulled him over April 21 around midnight on U.S. Highway 11. Smoot had made a U-turn, had empty liquor bottles in his car and smelled of alcohol, the deputy wrote in a report. He struggled with deputies and refused a field sobriety test, according to the report.

The arrest on charges of resisting arrest, driving under the influence and violation of the implied consent law violated the conditions of his bond, posted in cash by family members.

Before prosecutors filed their motion to revoke the bond, Smoot already had left the McMinn County jail.

In June 2012, Smoot failed to show up in court after a Roane County grand jury indicted him in the death of Morris. He turned up about a day later in Pearl River County, Miss., where officers arrested him toting a shotgun and hauling camping equipment.

Morris’ body was found Oct. 15, 2011, along a rural road in Roane County. She’d been shot three times, authorities said.

Morris had sought an order of protection against Smoot, saying he threatened repeatedly to kill her.

Comments:

May 3, 2014
6:41 a.m.
madhatter_jr writes:
Someone please explain why a person charged with 1st degree murder is even given the opportunity to post a bond. Is it just about the money?

May 3, 2014
7:15 a.m.
trek writes:
So he already skipped once and was found in Mississippi after being indicted for this murder, and the idiot judge lets him out on bond? Who is the judge? What a moron.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:02 pm

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/crime/20 ... t/8745649/

Accused murderer captured at Chattanooga mental hospital
WBIR Staff, WBIR 7:28 p.m. EDT May 6, 2014

(WBIR - Kingston) After several days of searching for a missing man awaiting trial for first degree murder, Tuesday the accused killer was captured and back behind bars.

U.S. Marshals captured Shawn Smoot at around 11 a.m. Tuesday at a mental hospital in Chattanooga. Roane County deputies then transferred Smoot to the jail in Kingston where he is currently being held under suicide watch.

"I think he [Smoot] reached out to someone and told them he was contemplating doing bodily harm to himself," said Roane County Sheriff Jack Stockton. "He'll be placed on suicide watch in isolation, be under constant surveillance, and only be allowed certain items in his cell."

Smoot was out free on bond while he awaits a scheduled first degree murder trial this summer. Then he was arrested for DUI in April, which revoked his bond and required him to return to jail. However, he was nowhere to be found until Tuesday.

Smoot is charged with the murder of Brooke Morris, a former girlfriend who also worked for Smoot at his insurance agency in Knoxville.

Morris had filed an order of protection before her death and said Smoot threatened to kill her. Morris was found shot and killed on the side of a road in Roane County in October 2011.

Smoot's journey through the justice system has left the family of Morri

s bewildered at their inability to keep him behind bars.

"I want him to pay. I want him to pay dearly," said Tina Gregg, mother of Brooke Morris. "Over and over the judge keeps making it so he can get out on bond. It's ridiculous. I know the law enforcement here want Smoot behind bars as much as I do."

In June 2012, Smoot agreed to turn himself in and be arraigned on murder charges. Instead, he fled the state and was eventually captured in Mississippi armed with a shotgun.

In a 2012 interview with WBIR, Gregg said "Now that he has been captured, I think we can all rest easier knowing that he is off the streets."

However, when Smoot returned to Tennessee his bond was increased but he once again managed to pay the fee for his freedom. The victim's family wanted him to wear a tracking bracelet, but the judge refused the request.

"I knew he would run. Given the chance to run, I knew he would," said Gregg. "We kept waiting for him to make a mistake. When he got arrested for the DUI, I thought this is great. We've got him. He made a mistake. I knew he would. He's going back to jail."

Once again, Smoot was not detained and was released after the arrest for DUI, resisting arrest, and violation of implied consent in McMinn County last month. Authorities were unable to locate him since then, his bond was revoked, and the manhunt was on.

Now that Smoot is back behind bars, Gregg believes the suicidal threats are far from genuine.

"That's a joke. He's not on suicide watch. If he really wanted to kill himself he would have. He probably just wants to be in a cell by himself. As a matter of fact, I just wish they'd throw him the rope," said Gregg.

The murder trial is set to start in July, but Gregg anticipates further delays due to a change in legal representation for Smoot. Whenever the trial occurs, she says any possibility of Smoot being freed in the meantime would be personally offensive.

"Seriously, how many times can you slap somebody in the face? Every time he is released or allowed bond, it is a slap in Brooke's face, in my face, and my whole family."
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:05 pm

http://www.wate.com/story/25441066/shaw ... ty-sheriff

Shawn Smoot taken into custody by Roane County Sheriff
Posted: May 06, 2014 7:42 AM PDT
Updated: May 06, 2014 1:32 PM PDT

By ALEXIS ZOTOS
6 News Reporter

CHATTANOOGA (WATE) - Two Roane County Sheriff's Office deputies went to the Chattanooga area Tuesday morning to meet up with the US Marshal's service and take over possession of murder suspect Shawn Smoot.

U.S. Marshals Office deputies arrived at Moccasin Bend Mental Health Institute around 11 a.m. EDT to take Smoot into custody and turn him over to Roane County deputies.

Roane County Sheriff Jack Stockton said Smoot had turned him self in at the mental health facility after threatening suicide. He was kept there for 72 hours on suicide watch.

After a three hour trip to Chattanooga, deputies returned a shackled, but smirking Smoot to the Roane County jail.

Smoot is accused of first degree murder in the 2011 death of his former girlfriend, Brooke Morris.

He became a suspect in Morris's death shortly after she was found dead of a gunshot wound on a Roane County road. He was indicted on murder charges in July 2012, but failed to turn himself in as ordered. Smoot was later captured in Mississippi.

Smoot was released on a $250,000 bond in March.

A Roane County judge revoked bond for Smoot after he was arrested for DUI in McMinn County. Smoot had bonded out on the DUI charge.

The family of Brooke Morris say its a relief to have Smoot back in custody.

"It's like a nightmare. You can't wake up and move on. It's something every day," said Brittany Myers, Morris' sister.

Morris' mother Tina Gregg says it' a frustrating feeling of deja vu, only two years after Smoot's capture in Mississippi.

"There's no reason this should have happened again. I said all along he should have never gotten out the first time. Now he's had a second time, so they better not let him out a third time," she said.

The effort to locate him was coordinated by the Knoxville US Marshals office along with the 9th District Attorney's office and the Roane County Sheriff's Office.

"It cots a lot of taxpayer money to run him down every time he jump bond or is on the run. We're hoping to keep him in and allocate that issue," said Stockton.

Smoot will be placed on suicide watch at the Roane County jail, in isolation and checked on by an officer every 10 to 15 minutes.

Morris' mother doesn't buy the suicide threat.

"I don't think he was going to kill himself. I think it was just a ploy," Gregg said.

The trial for Brooke Morris' murder is supposed to begin July 30, but it could be pushed back yet again.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:23 pm

http://www.roanecounty.com/content/smoo ... ose-250000

Smoot’s parents may lose $250,000
By Damon Lawrence
Friday, May 9, 2014 at 12:15 am (Updated: May 9, 12:30 am)

Shawn Smoot’s parents could lose the $250,000 they put up to bond him out of jail.

“The state, in our amended motion for bond revocation, will be asking for the entire bond amount to be forfeited to the court,” District Attorney General Russell Johnson said Thursday.

Smoot is charged with first-degree murder in the Oct. 15, 2011, death of Brooke Nicole Morris.

Smoot was released from the Roane County Jail on March 26, 2013, after his parents put up the bond.

Criminal Court Judge E. Eugene Eblen revoked the bond on April 23 after Smoot was charged with DUI in McMinn County. A warrant was issued for Smoot’s arrest, but he did not turn himself in.

He was taken into custody by U.S. Marshals at the Moccasin Bend Mental Health Institute in Chattanooga on Tuesday.

Johnson said it will be up to Eblen to decide what happens to the $250,000.

Roane County Circuit Court Clerk Kim Nelson said the money is currently being held in the circuit court bank account “until further orders of the court.”
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Return to Worst Allstate Adjusters