The End of the 40-Hour Work Week

Allstate employees, please use this forum to offer suggestions about issues you feel might help the company in dealing with claims, or that might help us as insureds to deal with Allstate.

Unread postby RatPak11 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:52 pm

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/caree ... f=obinsite

By Seth Fiegerman
Posted July 05, 2011

NEW YORK (MainStreet) — The era of a 9-to-5 work week appears to be coming to an end.

Higher-level workers are increasingly being asked to put in 50 hours or more a week, effectively working an 8-to-6 work week at the very least, while lower income workers are often forced to work fewer hours but at jobs with irregular schedules, according to a comprehensive report from the Center for American Progress, which reviewed dozens of studies from the previous 30 years to understand the changing work/life struggles of the country’s labor force.

Driving these changes, as the center explains it, are companies turning lower-level full-time jobs into part-time employment to cut costs, savings that come at the expense of workers – and their families – losing the traditional schedules and financial benefits that come with full-time employment.

Some 38% of men in professional and management positions worked at least 50 hours a week between 2006 and 2008 up from 34% who worked those hours 30 years prior, based on government studies cited in the report. Women in higher-level positions experienced an even steeper change, with 14% working 50 hours or more in 2006 and 2008 compared to just 6% who did between 1977 and 1979.

These longer work schedules, which the center describes as being “ramped up versions” of what full-time employment once meant, were found to be particularly common on the higher end of the income ladder.

“Many of the highest-paying and highest-status professional jobs require very long hours—and, in today’s ‘winner take all’ economy, turning them down can extract a sharp wage penalty,” the researchers write in the report.

Much has been written about the number of Americans forced to work longer hours in the aftermath of the recession, as companies cut their payrolls, but as the literature reviewed in this report shows, many higher-level professionals were in danger of becoming workaholics long before that. One Harvard study published in 2006, for example, found that a fifth of those in the top 6% of income earners actually worked 60-hour weeks on average.

On the other hand, lower-level workers are facing the opposite problem. The percentage of men in low-income professions who worked 50 hours a week was cut in half during the previous 30 years, despite the fact that these workers often want to put in more hours to build up their income. To make matters worse, though they work fewer hours, their schedules tend to be more irregular, with two thirds of couples that earn less than $50,000 a year having at least one spouse who works hours outside the traditional 9-to-5 schedule (i.e. nights and weekends).

This change in schedules for high- and low-level employees not only has the potential to cause added stress while at work but according to the report, it also has the potential to cut into the time these people would otherwise spend taking care of their households.

Even the companies themselves may not benefit in the end from pushing more inconvenient work schedules. As the center points out, one survey found that workers would be 30% less likely to quit their job within the first two years if they had flexible schedules. However, since their schedules are getting worse, not better, companies may have to confront higher turnover and the added financial burden that comes with replacing employees.

Despite the changes to the nation’s overall work experience, there are plenty of companies that do provide flexible schedules and other perks to lighten the burden of a heavy work week. To find a few of the best options out there, check out MainStreet’s roundup of the companies with the healthiest work/life balance.

comments

I have changed my working life, after 30 years in banking, to working at home in a capacity that encourages my creativity and diversity in what I do. I feel much more relaxed, happy and less stressed. The money is not as good right now but I know that will change over time if I just hand in there. I am following my passion and it seems to fit my work style much better than Croporate America did. I have nothing to show after 30 years of working in a high-stress, fast pace job market and it simply isn't in my nature to push, push, push every day the copious amounts of paperwork at the rate of pay received. So, more power to you younger folks out there who are trying to make a name for yourself while paying off college ebts. As for me, I'll never go back to the grind of an 8-5 job, or nights, overtimes, etc. Good riddance!

judy 1
I think that this article sums up the situation accurately. When will companies learn that irregular schedules cost them more $'s in turnover? There are lots of us out there who are downsized out of the corporate world, with family obligations and too young too retire, who want to work, but for whom these "irregular" schedules cost us more than we can get paid. I would think that these companies should want people with a good work ethic and family ties rather than continuing to turn over employees with no sense of responsiblity which keeps costing them training and leaves them with an inexperienced workforce that can't service customers.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Re: The End of the 40-Hour Work Week

Unread postby RatPak11 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:08 pm

http://money.msn.com/now/post--why-the- ... s-too-long

Why the 40-hour workweek is too long
Economists and scientists predicted shorter hours for US laborers nearly a century ago. Why hasn't it happened?
By Jason Notte Jul 9, 2013 4:06PM

Still dreaming of a four-day workweek? In historical terms, you're dreaming small.

CNNMoney's ongoing series on the "New American Workplace" took a look at the 40-hour workweek, adopted shortly after the Great Depression, and how employers have toyed with it during the economic crisis. The key finding is that lots of workers have been forced to either shorten their workweeks or approach them differently as employers cut back.

At the height of the recession, Utah tried cramming 40-hour workweeks for its government employees into four 10-hour days in order to save on operating costs and avoid layoffs. The government was able to cut costs, while the employees got an extra day off without having to take a hit to their paychecks. But even those 40-hour workweeks fall well short of the ideal.

"Cutting hours of work can have positive effects on employment levels during a severe economic downturn," the International Labour Organization noted in a report last month.

Shortened hours can be used to create jobs, the ILO said, as fewer hours for one worker mean more work for another. Since the economic crisis, lots of workers have been forced to shorten their workweek as their employers cut back. Still, that falls well short of what economic thinkers and social scientists were predicting less than a century ago.

In 1930, renowned economist John Maynard Keynes predicted technological advancements would mean we would all eventually work just 15 hours a week. That same year, evolutionary biologist Julian Huxley predicted the two-day workweek. As recently as 1965, a Senate subcommittee predicted we would be working 14 hours a week by the year 2000, with at least seven weeks of vacation time.

The reality? The U.S. can't even mandate vacation time, never mind providing seven weeks of it. Benjamin Hunnicutt, a historian at the University of Iowa, calls the shorter workweek the "forgotten American dream."

"New marketing techniques of corporate America were able to convince us to buy things we had never seen before and had never needed before," he said. "Work was valorized -- elevated to the center of life more so than it ever had been before, and leisure was demoted and trivialized."

Meanwhile, the average German worker puts in 394 hours less than an American each year -- or nearly 10 fewer weeks. Germany is way smaller than the United States in area, population and resources, but still manages to be the fourth largest economy and third largest exporter in the world. Dutch workers, meanwhile, are on par with American workers in terms of productivity per hour, but pay higher taxes and earn less than Americans. On average, however, they work roughly 11 weeks less than their American counterparts each year, have access to government-funded health care, pay little or nothing for a college education and have far more leisure time than the average American.

While Americans settle for two weeks of vacation or none at all, their forbears and European neighbors continue to shake their heads in bewilderment at a workforce that puts in so much time for so little.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments:

peckbag
Jul 9, 2013 5:44PM
I've never understood why Americans prefer working to actually having a life. Life is bigger than work. I can't imagine anyone on their deathbed wishing they had worked more.

Wish956
Jul 9, 2013 6:50PM
...people work 40 hours a week? I'm REQUIRED to work 50 on salary, and they even want me to stay longer. It's come to the point I am not as efficient. Employers think longer hours = more work done. That's not the case. I was able to get MORE work done MORE efficiently when I only worked 8 hours a day. Why? Because my mind was set, it knew what it had to do, and it managed time correctly to do it.

Now... I have to stay 9? 9.5? 10 hours? Regardless of whether I get my work done or not? Well... It's called burn out people. I can't work that hard for that long. So I become less efficient. And because it eats into my 'stress free' time at home, I become even more less efficient. More unhappy which = you guessed it! Less efficiency.

So when are the employers going to stop, look around, and realize slave driving only gets them employees who do JUST enough not to get fired? Because people like me, who do work hard and enjoy working hard, get burnt out and our potential is NOT reached.

GoAwayLefty
Jul 9, 2013 5:29PM
Germany doesn't have the lifetime welfare class that America does, so universal health care and free college are more palatable. More people pull their weight over there, unlike America where the productive 53% have to work longer to support a good number of Obama voters.

waterwolves
Jul 9, 2013 5:32PM
We're nuts for working this hard. We have no time with our families. Both parents have to work to make ends meet. It's insane. It's big business/corporate America screwing us again. Working us to death. Oh and you know what you get when you're done working for them? Nothing. Most Americans die broke.

We should be down to a 32 hours work week at the very least. We should have 6-7 weeks of vacation time as well. We need to push for these rules/laws to be put in place now. If we cut the work week down to 32 hours guess what? The company will have to hire more people.

OMG more people will have jobs! More time with their families. OMG OMG it will be terrible!!!!!

LifeLeason
Jul 9, 2013 5:52PM
What the heck is a 40 hour work week? I don't remember the last time I worked one of those. Here at my JOB we have been working over 60 hours a week and working 7 days a weeks is really starting to bit really really bad. I would love to work just 40hrs a week. I think my stress level would drop in half if I did.

Bottom of Form
FasterFreddie1
Jul 9, 2013 6:06PM
We earn Less while the CEO's make more and more. Oust the CEO's and we can fix the problem of most middle class families. Why do we as working citizens tolerate such a gap in pay? Why do we put these people on pedestals and think they we save the company we work for. We treat them like gods and they are nothing more than a person. None of these people care anything about the company. All they care about is how much money they are going to make while rolling the dice with everyone's lives. This gap has to be narrowed. A company run by its employees will outlast any company run by one man or woman. It is time we take back what belongs to us and stop letting the Presidents and the CEO's DICTATE our freaking lives!!

OilExpat
Jul 9, 2013 5:57PM
Nice thing about salary exempt status... You can work just as many hours as you want. As long as you continue to do the jobs of two or three people.

cgnert
Jul 9, 2013 5:33PM
This story should have a direct link from yesterday's story titled "Who Killed the American Dream". MSN -They ask the question one day and answer it themselves the next day.

itszame
Jul 9, 2013 7:59PM
I finally came up with the answer a few years ago. I started my own business. Now I enjoy my life once again. It was scary at first but it's amazing how many folks want to see the little guy succeed. Instead of making a ton of money I've opted to spend more time on R&R and more time with my kids. Life really is short. Make a plan and go for it. You will soon learn how to succeed if you have a passion. If you don't have a passion, well you can always work for the man and the scraps he throws you. That was the reality I came to in my last years with the man.

Bottom of Form
SW2
Jul 9, 2013 6:23PM
40 hours a week would be a dream for us! My husband puts in 50 to 55 hours a week with no end in sight. The 2 weeks of vacation he does get has to be saved for emergencies and sick leave. With 2 sets of elderly parents to care for and me (his wife) being disabled (I am not receiving any government help), My husband is exhausted all the time.

And Now they want everyone to put off retirement until 68 or 70 or 75. We will be lucky if he is able to make it to 62.

This is automotive/truck/oilfield/irrigation/farm equipment parts and repair business....a small business owned by one family where my husband has been employed since 1975. The small businesses are forced to cut back because they are squeezed from all sides...mostly the government...less people have to do more work. It is an impossible to hold up under these circumstances.
More

CSA Rebel
Jul 9, 2013 6:26PM
If you want the easy life, snag you a federal job that pays way too much, more time off than the private sector, and no accountability while there. That my friends... is the American Dream!

MirageGuy
Jul 9, 2013 4:13PM
Don't Worry, Obamacare will reduce it to below 30 hours.... But there will NO EXTRA pay for the hours not worked. You will just have to get used to earning LESS money as your hours are cut back....

Travis Bennett
Jul 9, 2013 5:37PM
I theorize that more MANDATED paid vacations would actually help the economy. Employers would have to hire more employees to cover the additional time and the leisure industry would expand big time, also necessitating more employees. A win-win for everyone

Write a reply...
Bottom of Form
m0ng00se1
Jul 9, 2013 6:12PM
I'm sick of morons bringing "obamacare" into every conversation about anything and everything!the reason the "14 hour work week" never materialized is.........the "upper" class simply wouldn't allow their worker bees to do anything other than making sure they have everything they want in life. meanwhile hard working citizens kill themselves for peanuts and are told "if you weren't so lazy you wouldn't be poor".
90% of the 99% work 100% harder than 99% of the 1% ever have or ever will !!!
the people who control everything ,CONTROL EVERYTHING!!!!!
including healthcare,education,wages,foreign policy,and the minds of those that they exploit who defend them and their actions even though they directly reduce their own quality of life on a daily basis!
"obamacare" may be terrible ,but it has come AFTER at least a CENTURY of oppression by those who profit from the PAIN and SUFFERING of the general populous.
we have it all wrong,we've been tricked into fighting over minutia like this while they laugh all the way to our graves!!!

vaminer
Jul 9, 2013 10:14PM
If Obama decides to actually implement Obamacare then this article will become a moot point.

If we quit being the world cop and quit giving money to countries that want to cut off our heads and spit down our neck maybe we could enjoy more free time and actually have our tax dollars given back to the taxpayers in the form of affordable health care and some of the "luxuries" some of the European countries enjoy. When was the last time the news reported that Denmark, or any European country for that matter, sent an army into some foreign country to do battle.

fair0123
Jul 9, 2013 7:19PM
There's definitely a case that we don't need to work more than a few hours a day on average. After all with productivity gains in agriculture and construction, how many manhours are needed to meet our true needs of food, water, and shelter? Even today if you were really only looking to meet these basic needs as cost efficiently as possible, would you need to work more than a few hours of minimum wage?

Our standard of living has evolved to include many wants like cable, computers, cars, etc. Its all the extras that keep us slaving away...

Plains Blue Sky
Jul 9, 2013 6:49PM
I remember how they said that recreation would be more and more important as we worked less and less. Now I work a full time and a part time job. Thanks, 1%ers.

james hewing (jimwho 20)
Jul 9, 2013 6:03PM
a 40 hour work week is a good balance, 8 hours work, 8 hours play or what ever,8 hours sleep. figuring in travel, shopping, errands ect, it really doesn't amount to 8 ,8 and 8 but close. the work day itself, say with 1- 45min lunch and 2- 15 min brakes ,would leave about 6 hr and 45min of actual productive work time, this should be good enough for anybody, employers and workers . what I see today is nobody wants to work ,but they want the big bucks. I had a construction company for 35 yrs and this system, or one very close to it worked for me, I had more people wanting to work for me, than the business could handle, used to be that people wanted to work and do their best, gave them self worth, and pride of accomplishment, and at least by me were well compensated. everybody was happy, employees, customers, and myself. it seems now a days that a lot of people want the most for the least, this is sad as it benefits nobody. jimwho Chicago

isWalmartreallyaperson
Jul 9, 2013 5:43PM
Republican voters,
Do you support national Republicans attempts to end/repeal the 40 hour workweek and overtime pay protection?

Repubs were just defeated in another attempt to repeal overtime pay in May, 2013.

PERRY MERRIEL
Jul 9, 2013 5:31PM
I work 40 hours a week. Easy job, benefits. Love my job.

Opinion of the writer
Jul 9, 2013 10:10PM
I see so many blaming a politician they don't like, either party, and I have to say .... what a load folks.

Politicians are bought and paid for by big business and big business wants us to die at our jobs and not have a life. They have paid to have laws passed that help them achieve this and maximize profits.

We, the working class, are basically slaves and the laws have made it legal. Don't think you are a slave to your job? Tell your boss you won't work the extra hours, that you demand extra time off and free health care. Then watch the reaction .... from the unemployment line.

Then you get to find out that the laws have changed. You can't get unemployment if you were terminated from your job. In my state, you are employed "at will". This means if your employer decides you look bad in that color of shirt you can be fired. There isn't anything you can do about it. Because you were fired, you can't collect unemployment. What a farce! And my state is spending billions of tax dollars to attract large employers who can continue this trend.

Big business owns this country and they own the workers. Welcome to the C.S.A. (Corporate States of America)!

antiObumble
Jul 9, 2013 7:02PM
Funny, all the talk of working less hours per week. I consider myself to make a way better than average wage(at least for the area I live in), working as many hours a week as I can, typically 40(when we are slow) to 55+. I am a renter, my vehicles are 8 and 23 years old(both bought used), I do not eat out every night of the week, my wife cannot work and is not on the Government dole, we have one cell phone between the 2 of us. I do not feel like I overspend, I don't even own a high-def flat screen tv(my last 2 tube tv's I bought off craigslist). I get 3 weeks of PTO each year and I can't afford to take a vacation now and you expect me to be able to "vacation more" on 32 or less hours of pay per week, please. What employer is going to pay me the same wage I make in 40+ hours for only working 32? A 32 hour work week(assuming 4 - 8 hour workdays) for me would only forcibly provide the opportunity for me to get a job on a 3 day "weekend shift" somewhere. When was it that I was supposed to be taking this "extra vacation" time again? The system is broken people, and it will never change. This is why the Gooberment wants to raise the age of retirement to 70-75 years of age and one side wants to take away my ability to earn overtime pay to keep me working more and earning less, while the other side wants to force my employers into cutting my hours to afford/avoid healthcare. Until the greed at the corporate level and the "corporate cronies system" of Gooberment goes away, it will never end. Good luck to everyone, goodness knows I need it.

Get_Real 846
Jul 9, 2013 11:51PM
I work 60 hours or more a week most weeks just to earn enough to scrape by. So tell me how can I work less hours.

I recently read an article in which they said the CEO of the company earned 14 million a year. The average worker in the company earned 32,000 a year so he earns in somewhere around 44 times what the average worker makes. Now if the stockholders would cut the CEO salaries and pay the work force more there would be more disposable income for the workers to spend, which would stimulate the economy. At least thats what I was told in economics class.

By the way people, get over Obama care causing workers to get their hours cut. Businesses are using this for an excuse. Health care costs are a business expense and can be written off as such. So basically they don't have that much of an effect on the bottom line. No, I'm not a big fan of the Obama care law but I am tired of the people who just respout conservative propaganda, and yes I am even tired of the ones who respout what the liberals put out there. We all need to think and check the facts and make an intelligent decision.

BrandonKat
Jul 10, 2013 9:47AM
I'm glad I retired early. To me work sucked and was just a means to pay the bills. I didn't live to work, but worked to live. I'm glad I'm out of the rat race.

Tim A
Jul 10, 2013 10:47AM
American workers are suckers and so easily manipulated by the wealthy most of who inherited their money. Those rich people become very opinionated about lazy working Americans as they sit around their pools all day. The rich are smart enough to recognize the power in shouting communism anytime someone wants to talk about the problem. The **** working class than go around and repeat the meaningless label of communism to bully those who want to fix the problems with the economic system.

Why did the New Deal even come into existence? At least partly because at the time there was a substantial communist/socialist movement in the US because their needs were not being addressed by the economy. That potential threat to overthrow the rich made it imperative to throw the workers a bone with the New Deal. Th problem now is there is no viable communist/socialist movement in America. By the way the USSR was not communism or socialism from at least when Stalin took over. It was a dictatorship. So dont equate communism with the USSR. Thy didnt take care of their people any better than the US does today.

The US is effectively a dictatorship because the same corporate rich have taken over both parties. Elections are a sham. Nothing important changes no matter who is elected.

repoman123
Jul 9, 2013 8:54PM
this is because of the greed of corporations and stockholders. we need to work more hours for less pay so they can afford bigger yachts and more diamond and furs.

JJ
Jul 10, 2013 12:03AM
Wow, this article is just full of silly talk from economic thinkers and social scientists. I especially like the circular logic spewed forth in the 5th paragraph...."Shortened hours can be used to create jobs, says the ILO, as fewer hours for one worker mean more work for another." So if we take 10 workers and cut their hours to 20, we can then create 10 new 20-hour jobs and we'll have 20 happy 20-hour workers. Heck lets go for nirvana and have the 10 original workers work just 5 hours and then we can create 70 new 5-hour jobs. Life will be grand as we all **** bluebirds and rainbows.

Anonymous Investor
Jul 9, 2013 7:18PM
There's nothing wrong with working 40+ hours a week. What is wrong is the American mentality that glorifies work, with leisure being "trivialized" as mentioned in the article. Listen, if I can get something done in half the time it takes you to do it, then have extra leisure time off because of it, that's a good thing. The problem stems from many Americans trying to fit into the proverbial "box", which involves waking up, eating breakfast from a box, driving to work in a box, where we then sit in a box all day, etc. Many people, including myself, have felt pressure at one time or another to live this "normal" lifestyle, which entails working all week for a modest paycheck. That's fine, and it serves its purpose. But don't get me wrong, if I can build an investment portfolio to the point where I don't have to work, thereby allowing more leisure time, I'm going to do it. And I'm going to be proud of it.

Bogg Weasel
Jul 10, 2013 9:18AM
When I was paid hourly, in order to "get on and progress" and be "successfull" in my job, I was encouraged to start work early before clocking on and to clock off at the end of my shift at the proper time and stay on and do work so I wouldn't cost the company any overtime and my 40 hour week was usually a 50 hour week.I got on and moved up to a salaried position.My 50 hour week turned into a 60+ hour week,with such conveniances as being on call to fill in shifts at a moments notice,pick up time slots when hourly paid staff had worked their 40 hr limits etc..If I hadn't done this I would have been let go as I wouldn't have been a "team player'" or a "company man"and some other eager idiot would happily have stepped into my shoes. So why do Americans work so hard? To keep thier jobs that's why, in NY State unless you have a specific contract of employment, you can be let go (fired) for no reason, without notice,holiday pay or benifts and short of having a cast iron case like discrimination,absolutely no legal recourse to challenge your former employer.So with the current climate of insecurity in the job place and with plenty of people in the labor pool willing to do your job (probably for less money as well ), it's small wonder Americans work so hard. In Germany, even WalMart employees get health benifits,paid vacation time and earn more then some so called "middle class" jobs in the USA, and WalMart still runs at a profit, maybe not so much of a profit as they make in America but then again, in the USA, it's all about maximizing profits no matter the cost to the worker vis thier quality of life.Conciencious Capitilism spreads success throughout the workforce and rewards them appropriately,sharing the wealth means a more dynamic marketplace,less need for welfare and taxes.The current model of Capitalism that continiually funnels profit to the very top leaves the rest of us disenfrachised and vulnerable to whatever greedy foibles Wall st, Bankers and elite money people think is a good idea to make thier millions or billions, ie mortgage backed securities, and we all know where that ended up. Untill workers have even a modecom of job security, the 40+ hour workweek is here to stay, and heaven forbid you turn off your cellphone.

letsgo21
Jul 10, 2013 12:12PM
congress where they always on vaction "on the taxpayers dime" make a huge paycheck and never work

isWalmartreallyaperson
Jul 9, 2013 6:20PM
Congressional Rethugs have a 15% approval rating. They have OPPOSED every job growth bill INCLUDING..

JOB INSOURCING- laws that would bring jobs outsourced to China, back home to America.
Senate Republicans FILIBUSTERED it to death at the orders of their corporate overlords. This law would've brought tens of MILLIONS of jobs back home. Good paying jobs too. Factory, manufacturing type jobs that used to support strong national, sustaining BIRTH RATES.

Outsourcing and Walmart/Rethug wage-busting = RECORD LOW BIRTHRATES that will soon change demographics of America.

Proves the destruction of EVERY Republican/Conservative/Fascist policy.

Jack1231
Jul 10, 2013 12:34AM
Guess What? We are the greatest nation on earth but insist that we are the "policeman" of the world. Good or bad it takes our resources.
40 hrs. work week is not abusive and is good for all and makes us a great nation, not like the declining western European nations.
Maybe we should stop being the policeman of the world and concentrate on just defending our nation!

kixaxe Ragencobra
Jul 10, 2013 12:10PM
32 hours is the Fix and get 40 hrs paid. There's so much to do in life and between working to much and sleeping; you will never get it all done. A two day weekend is a bunch of bull since on Sunday all you do is think about how bad Monday will be.

Gassy Baby
Jul 9, 2013 7:15PM
My father use to say, "Things are more difficult today - you have computers". He never used one in his life and he very seldom EVER worked overtime.

Floating
Jul 9, 2013 11:34PM
What a joke - most of the people I know (and me too) keep working after leaving the office - nights, WEEKENDS, VACATION DAYS, and HOLIDAYS. That's why they allow employees to have company phones and laptops.

A 40 hour work week? I haven't had one in DECADES.

I'd rather have a "normal life" - but now there's so much pressure to be "the best" and "most valuable" employee you can be because companies are still downsizing. No one I know can afford to lose their job.

happy with america under Obama
Jul 9, 2013 9:31PM
The problem is the antagonism towards employees and sense of entitlement that companies or their owners have. They don't tend to view themselves as leaders of citizens who care about the welfare of the community where their factories make goods, the stores sell their goods, etc. They have lost touch with any sense that they are a part of something larger than their egos and their own greed. Look at people like David Seigel of Westgate Industries and John Schnatter of Papa John's Pizza, threatening to lay off workers if Obama was re-elected. They forgot that they run industries in a representative democracy and they are part of something larger than vacation spots and pizzas, it's called America and we are all part of it, even the captains of industry.

V_L
Jul 9, 2013 5:59PM
Pretty ridiculous. With the I-Phone literally causing endless distraction and improbable goals, the work day MAY seem too long but then, what gets down? We have no economy and society is based on the impulse and gratification factors. Meanwhile, self-employed people continue to work as many hours as it takes to make progress and profit. Do what you wish to the "work day" but sooner than later you too get to make a Leap of Faith into responsibility for your life's direction. Bet the first thing you throw away is the I-Phone.

psychedout
Jul 9, 2013 6:38PM
Naw, having a government job is still working for someone else. But working for the gov is probably better than working for the private sector who doesn't want to pay you a fair share of the profits they make and give to the CEO.
I remember when people used to want to work for the privates because they actually got paid better and that working for the government was the same as working for the military. A job when you couldn't cut it in private enterprise.

CM0202
Jul 10, 2013 12:37PM
You should work hard at work and give 100% But corporate america and even small employers make their employees feel like they should be grateful to have jobs and exploit that. They treat vacation and family time as your screwing them. I happy worker is a productive worker!!!
Corporate america is writing all the policy in the US because their money is buying who you voted for.

jonathan45678
Jul 9, 2013 4:55PM
oh you people saying you are rich can you paypal me some so I can afford a vacation?

click onto the following url address for more interesting comments:

RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:04 pm

more comments to the article titled: Why the 40-hour workweek is too long

Andrew Perry (zeke81)
Jul 9, 2013 6:56PM
Working fewer hours creates more jobs? Uh...not where I work. When they took away overtime here they told us that we had the same number of DAYS to get things done, they just weren't going to pay us for the extra HOURS that it would take to do it.
It would be great if we lived in this ideal world where we all could make what we make working 40 hours per week in just 8 hours. Think of the jobs then!!! You could have 5 people sharing one job, each working one day a week and taking home enough money to provide for their family.
If you find an employer who is willing to pay someone an honest week's pay for an honest day's work let me know. I want to be there when that person is carted off to the nut house in a straight jacket.

cgnert
Jul 9, 2013 5:42PM
I've been to Europe many times. Do not care to live in a 3 bedroom house with every single family member (mom, dad, grandparents, brothers, sisters, in-laws, nieces and nephews) just so I can get an extra 2 weeks off.

CognizantMany
Jul 10, 2013 7:37AM
Living life, the only life we have is more important than numbers on a chart or meeting deadlines. We sacrifice more than half of our waking lives' everyday just to pay bills and keep a float til the next one. All the while time is passing, and you are aging.
Why should such a large mass of people be coerced to enslave themselves to a society that only a very, very small percentage of us can actually live life with all the freedoms we should all have. In-office productivity has grown ten fold over the last couple decades but does the employer see any addition profit from that, absolutely not. Especially when record numbers of individuals don't enjoy their job. I am not pushing for a 20 work week or anything but I feel like in this day and age a 34 hr work week is more appropriate (7hrs days, 6hr on Friday). And the jobs that can be done from home, the employer should be allow them to do so.

Croupier
Jul 10, 2013 3:03AM
I think by the beginning of 2015, the standard workweek will be 29 hours or less for most of us.

AMIR smith (ohioman2)
Jul 10, 2013 12:17AM
It took a catastrophic illness to make me plant flowers and watch humming birds in my yard ,to realize the ripe freshness of a tomato don't let my story happen to you,thank god I got a second chance and wasn't to sick or to old to enjoy it .

slavedriver210
Jul 10, 2013 1:01PM
ha I wish I had a 40 hour work week. I work for a multi millionaire iron man runner who makes us work more like 60+ hours a week 6 days a week. his website claims how excellent he pays his people. sure 8 bucks an hour that's 75 cents above minimum wage. raises? haha I can work there 10 years and still make 8 an hour. modern day slavery if you ask me. I guess atleast someone passed out from heat exhaustion last summer so we got 4 fans. still looks like a 3rd world country sweat shop with all the bugs flying around all night.

secondof4
Jul 10, 2013 11:43AM
I could work less if the Government would quit robbing my check Taxes.... 635.00 just last week

Rick Olds
Jul 9, 2013 7:09PM
Corporate USA will never go to fewer hours and then add more workers. That would require benefits etc its much cheaper to work overtime with fewer workers compared to more full time employees. The mind set of our corporation is if we have open time we have more potential to make more profit. Cutting hours just opens more hours available to be filled with more work thus more profit.

fair0123
Jul 9, 2013 7:26PM
There's nothing stopping people from working less than 40 hrs if they can make ends meet. There are a number of people around my work who only work between 25-30 hrs. I could reduce my hours if I wanted to, but I prefer to max out my 401k instead. I plan to cut my hours and contributions once I hit a balance of half a million...

KaD375
Jul 10, 2013 12:29AM
Damn right it's too long. And when you add travel time you're most times over 50 hours a week. Remember the four day workweek-what happened to that idea? If we cut the workweek to four days many of the unemployed would be able to find work. That and NO more illegals.

Scrooge661
Jul 10, 2013 11:28AM
" "Cutting hours of work can have positive effects on employment levels during a severe economic downturn," the International Labour Organization noted in a report last month."
Businesses struggle during economic downturns, that is why there is an economic down turn. Cutting a position into two part time positions increases the employers burden when the company is already struggling. It also means less take home pay for each employee, so they each have less buying power. You might have an employee who can afford to buy a home and a new car with a full time job, but once you cut him to part time, and hire another part time guy, then they're both just scraping by. Spreading the misery is not a solution.

LOL all day
Jul 10, 2013 11:26AM
40 hrs? Try 60+ hrs. and with almighty technology you really never get a respite from the office and work. Had a boss one time who was disapointed that I didn't immediately weigh in on an email thread that began at 3am. Thats when I said - Enough! If you work crazy hours like this then do some quick math against your weekly hours worked against your yearly wage. Your salary, expressed as an hourly rate might make you wonder why you doled out the big big bucks for college. Pretty scary isn't it!

Hangedman66
Jul 9, 2013 9:33PM
A 32 hour all the way down to a 14 hour work week has been touted here. are employers goning to still pay you as if you worked 40 hours or are you going to have to get 2 o 3 jobs to make up for the shortened hours?

Willy Johnson
Jul 9, 2013 8:44PM
I'll take the USA over any other EU country any day of the week. I've been to Europe and it sucks a$$.

SusieRaye
Jul 9, 2013 6:39PM
So companies are forcing hourly employees to work less while salaried employees to work more. My husband and I are both salaried, together we make less than $100k per year, and together we work on average 120 hours a week. Who is going to protect the salaried workers in this economy.

2putfrom1foot
Jul 10, 2013 1:08PM
This is the society we live in. The worker bee's are worked to death, the queen bee,s are hardly working in most cases. They say keep the workers tired and broke so they need your job to pay the bills and are too tired to look for a new job thus: you can do as you want with them.

99Jarhead99
Jul 10, 2013 8:29AM
LMAO!... Probably for Union workers this headline is true.....

Jul 10, 2013 1:44PM
A 32 hour work week is more appropriate, and in keeping with the norm for the rest of the world !

Adriana Bitoun
Jul 10, 2013 12:41PM
Work is part of the american culture ... but it really is too much, Americans do not enjoy life, they have a lot of money to buy a lot of things that cannot be used because they do not have the time. There is no work-life balance at all. I agree with Europeans, have time to enjoy life is much better.

Frank Paulsen
Jul 10, 2013 11:46AM
The cost of living is not as dramatically impacted by Federal Taxes as one might think. I would challenge you to sit down and calculate out the taxes and fees you pay on local items. Prperty taxes, state gas taxes, sales tax, security alarm tax, pet taxes (license), local parks taxes, cell phone tax and fees, car taxes and fees, etc. You will find that your local governement is killing you more than the Federal taxes are. Everyone wants to vote in the big popularity contest of the presidential election but most people do not even kno the first thing about federal law or policies. People interviewed during the last Obama election blamed republicans for things Democrats did and vice versa. Vote your local elections and force local officials to make the right choices and remove them when they don't. That will help reduce your tax, fee and work burdens so you can live. Lastly, remember you are connected to everyone on this planet and if you don't pull your own weight someone else has to do it for you and that should be shameful to you!!!!

8t
Jul 10, 2013 12:18PM
Corporate America continues to use the political system to squeeze more of the working class so CEOs can afford their half a billion bonuses.

ollie58
Jul 9, 2013 5:48PM
Those who work to consume post more and whine louder. Those who work to produce don't need to.

FASHIONPOLICE96
Jul 10, 2013 2:08PM
IN OTHERS COUNTRIES IS OBLIGATORY THAT THE EMPLOYERS HAVE TO PAY HOLIDAYS AND VACATIONS. THESE ARE "OBLIGATORY" BENEFITS. I DON'T HAVE ANY BENEFITS IN MY JOB!

Scubafan
Jul 10, 2013 12:57PM
You knew this would become a blame the Republicans, blame the Democrats conversation. Last time I checked, the 1% consists of both Republicans and Democrats, and neither want to give up what they get or have. It has nothing to do with either party. We work 40+, some of us 50+ and seem to spin our wheels. But, it's a lot our own fault! The more we work and earn, the more we spend on wants and not needs. Soon, we're programmed to believe our wants are now our needs. You will never see any reduction in a work week in the US.

one_islander
Jul 10, 2013 11:03AM
...simple...more hours worked = more production = more product for the market = more sales = more $$
Corporate Industry Ideal: more hours worked and for less pay, = $$$$
Big Business Problem: Now all them Americans want to be rich and successful - not good, that means less money for the owners. Owners have to pay big wages and big benefits and holidays and sick days and coffee breaks and lunch breaks an only 8 hours work a day - no good - american worker needs to be happy to work 12 hour day, no coffe break - 1/2 hour lunch break, no holiday, no sick day!!
Big Business Solution: China and India - workers there work long hours and for lousy pay - perfect. Close down American factories and move them over to China and India - perfect:

OnlyPractical
Jul 10, 2013 10:18AM
And to think if (more like when) Obamacare comes through. You think employers are going to be more likely to hire more employees?
Layoffs will not be a surprise, since they'd rather pay less people more on overtime than provide the benefits to those extra people.
Those who are left with jobs be prepared, 40 hours is going to be desireable, if it isn't already.

Tokyo2005
Jul 10, 2013 4:12PM
As much as I like the idea of a shorter work week, I'm almost certain the powers that be will just farm the jobs out to countries with workers who don't mind working twice as long for a fraction of the pay. Oh, that's right, they're already doing that. My bad. The more American workers fight for better balance between their lives and their work, the more we'll see of the already rampant practice of companies sending more work to places that don't give a f*ck about that kind of balance. Unless some kind of penalty for doing that is put in place (and it won't be, we all know that), companies will always search the globe for the next cheaper resource... that's just how the game is played.

Wolphi
Jul 10, 2013 4:04PM
Who works only 40 hours?

Hektor Gomez
Jul 10, 2013 9:11AM
A lot of companies keep the work weeks shorter. In fact, just short enough to keep the employees exempt from full-time benefits.
Pretty sure that's not what the article was driving at, but still ...

nascar21fan
Jul 10, 2013 12:41PM
And the American business owners are at fault for all of this, right???
More smear from the left...
Just saying...
Sincerely,
A dis-satisfied customer and voter...

ken mcdearmon
Jul 10, 2013 1:40PM
I wish some one would show this to my wifes bosses. she works in the fast food business as a supervisor who also runs 13 stores and a average work week is 90-95 hrs a week.and drives on average 250 miles aday.not hard on our marrage but its killing her.

COLOBOB
Jul 10, 2013 5:19PM
The problem is that we have worked our selfs in to a situation that most us have no choice but to work a 40 hr week as most of us are hand to mouth.

I know myself and I do make more than the national average that I am truly just one or two pay checks form total ruin. I can not imagine how people making minimum wage can survive. I mean truly how can you live on 300 dollars a week. We need to re asses our lifes before it is to late and we have no options left but to toil until we are dead. Its not what you do for a living it is what you do with your life. we all should laugh more play more dance more that is what life is.

stealthwarrior
Jul 10, 2013 9:27AM
I work in the aviation field.most of the time you are putting in between 56 and 84 hours per week and i have been doing this for the last 23 years.40 hours for me is a dream.

Concrete Diver
Jul 10, 2013 9:07AM
Like Sigmund Freud used to say "Nothing more expensive than stupidity"..

FargoGuy58104
Jul 9, 2013 11:35PM
What is a 40 hour week? I taught for 26 years and worked most evenings and weekends. The I was an over the road trucker where we could "log" 70 hours per week, but basically worked 24/6 and then slept for one day. Now, I am retired but actually earn far more than I ever had salary just by being online with my laptop.

isWalmartreallyaperson
Jul 9, 2013 6:08PM
Wage-Free-Market capitalism has sterilized American birth rates to RECORD LOWS, in today's America.
Low wages = RECORD LOW BIRTH RATES.
Conservatives, mostly Republicans, have DECLARED WAR AGAINST good wages in America. We're letting Republicans win that war.
The result- an AGING, sterile population. Low wages are Illuminati population reduction foisted by Republicans. It's working. Low wages have become a 'stellar success' in the collapse of America's modern record low birth rates.
Birth rates will never recover unless wages recover. Minimum wage should be no less than $14 an hour- what's called a living wage.
EVERY RETHUG OPPOSES A GOOD WAGE FOR AMERICAN WORKERS.

psychedout
Jul 9, 2013 6:43PM
The business owners have you workers over a barrel right now. You're going to have to take what they are willing to give and with profits as the sole motive, it'll be as little as possible.

lostinthespokaneos
Jul 9, 2013 11:57PM
Welcome to the thinking that got Greece where it is

almostnormal1
Jul 9, 2013 9:35PM
yes , 39.5 is all i can take

Flankercom
Jul 9, 2013 6:48PM
I'll vote for the next presidential candidate to work on this.

Garand
Jul 10, 2013 9:59AM
keynes has been debunked many many times. why people still believe his magic happy math when there is so much proof contrary, is beyond me.

psychedout
Jul 9, 2013 6:39PM
How times have changed...

Blamo123
Jul 10, 2013 6:40PM
Technology, rather than "free us" has enslaved us. More is expected. More is required. One would have though that with all the advancements we would be able to work a little less and become better, more artistic, educated, benevolent people. The opposite has been the case.

Corey Haynes
Jul 10, 2013 5:31PM
I think about this pretty often. Having recently been to Europe and also having lived in Barbados I can see many countries around the world value living life more than we do here. Their jobs/careers aren’t the center of their worlds. I can relate to that. We all need to work but it is not the most important thing. Of course the flip side to that is less wealth…but I can live with that. I can live within my means with less wealth if that meant more time with my family/friends and less time in the office. I could plan out the expensive things I want to do like travel. I don’t need to have the biggest house, luxury car, latest fashion, etc. However, I understand if others do…it’s cool.
I don’t ever see our country getting to a point where we reduce time in the office. It’s not the American way. So you work with what you have. We could all get to that European style of life…you just have to work harder for it.

Just an ol logger
Jul 10, 2013 3:29PM
Remember, the key to success is working only half days. And it don't matter what 12 hours you work.

sat-diver
Jul 10, 2013 2:06PM
This is mostly BS. The employers shorten worker's hours, not to save by having fewer hours, but by not having to pay any benefits to the employees whose hours they have shortened to be under the Federal "standards" requiring those benefits.

USmale475
Jul 10, 2013 11:07AM
Yeah and employers won't have to pay any overtime pay or medical coverage either...wow the worked really takes it up the Ars on this one huh?? great Idea NOT

randogzz
Jul 9, 2013 8:31PM
Halve work zero hours the other halve 40, average 20. LOL

bearbryanttx
Jul 9, 2013 5:15PM
The premise of this article is so overtly Progressive as to nullify any alleged conclusions of the so called journalist.

WCJEFFRO
Jul 10, 2013 1:04AM
I see many of the comments blame the "greedy corporations" or capitalism in general. In truth the government is the problem. The Democrats keep screaming "we need more taxes from millionaires". How much money does the government need? Taxes we pay: Property taxes, Death Taxes, Sales Taxes, Income Taxes, Alcohol Taxes, Cigerette Taxes, Dividend Taxes, Capital Gains Taxes and it goes on and on..... Also we have all the compliance expenses to comply with government rules and regulations. You know corporations have to pay all this stuff as well as matching social security and Now Coming Soon!!!! Healthcare mandates. Now imagine a world in which you kept all the money you made instead of paying half of it out in taxes. Imagine how much more companies could pay there employees if they didn't have to waste money on compliance and taxes. As an employer myself I try to take care of my employee's as best as I can and I believe most employer's do but government regulations and taxes limit our ability to take care of our employees. When did business become the enemy? When did capitalism become the enemy? Stop buying Democrat talking points and see the man behind the curtain for who he is! A Fraud!!! and it isn't Frank Morgan!

Shannon15
Jul 10, 2013 1:03PM
If you are so against working 40 hours a week then get a part time job - then youll work 20, if your lucky.
Most people work lots of hours because they want the money. I work 2 part-time jobs during the school year and am a full time student, during the summer I work a full time job - that means 40hours a week..... I love my life, I have a nice house in a great neighborhood, a vehicle in great condition, all the food that I love in my refrigerator, pets, internet, television, ect ect... I go on vacations and visit family in other places, I go on trips with my classes and buy the things I need and want.... If I didnt make the money that I do, I would not get to live the way I want - and that means that if I want to keep my lifestyle I have to work the hours to make the money.
Also, many feel that they have to have money to have a life. You plan to take your kids to the park across town, how are you going to get there if you don't have a car or gas. You work for what you want. If you are happy with living a lifestyle with very limited money, then do it. I don't see why this is such a big deal - work for the money that you want.
Oh, and on a side note - We as Americans hate to pay taxes, so we will never have free health care or public education - that money has to come from somewhere.

Intruder1984
Jul 9, 2013 11:00PM
If you think a 40 hour work week is too long then work less hours and get less money for yourself, your family, your house, your groceries, your gas, your insurance premiums, your 401K, your retirement, and your death arrangements.

yamahamama
Jul 10, 2013 10:24AM
Try working 84 hrs in a week. Granted we get 7 days off (sometimes) but 40 hours would seem like a piece of cake.

Randy Wilkins (Hwysupr)
Jul 10, 2013 9:25AM
Sounds great in theory however we Americans think we have to have more crap and as such would never choose to spend more time with our family and friends over making more money. I have reached the dream by going part time working 32hours per week. Perhaps we could get more people off unemployment and welfare if we converted our workweek to 32 hours vice 40+

Women In Trucking
Jul 10, 2013 2:31PM
What about those of us in the trucking business.... We are mandated to work 70 hours a week drive 11 hours a day and we are lucky we can make enough money to send home to our family's let alone see them.... I wish I made a hourly wage I make cents a hour not dollars ... Yes I do this job because I love it but really people we as truck drivers stay out from home weeks at a time and u get to go home every night and u still complain your bananas are bruised when u get them from Wal-Mart and my big **** truck is in your way that brings every thing u buy with your money wither u are on vacation or u are at home oh by the way everything in your home was brought by a truck......... No there is no need to have multi million dollar homes or cars or stuff but think of the little people of this country that make the sacrifice to keep this country moving and our economy moving ... NO TRUCKS NO FOOD NO CLOTHES NO NOTHING STORES WOULD BE EMPTY.....

kingal86
Jul 9, 2013 9:21PM
The problem with shorter hours is the cost of living if pay per hour still remains the same - which isn't the case if you compare modern Western countries to Victorian factory workers. A lot of high earners (or co-habitees) float the idea of shorter hours, forgetting many couldn't live off less than full-time work, which is why they do it.
To give a UK example, if I was paid £12 an hour instead of just over £6 an hour (the minimum wage), I'd be happy to take a 19h a week job instead of the standard 37.5h since I'd basically be getting my full time wage in half the time.
But I couldn't afford to work 19 hours a week at minimum wage because I wouldn't be able to pay my rent. Indeed one of the perverse incentives our social security system has is that in general you can be better off (if paying almost every penny of income in rent is better off) on it than in work under 30 hours a week.

Someone
Jul 9, 2013 8:08PM
I believe pay rate, health care cost, cost of living, and children's college expenses have put Americans in long hour job or even with multi-jobs. As long as there is no solution to those issues, America will be workaholic nation. However, we are much better than many countries around the globe. God Bless America.

thnkaboutit
Jul 11, 2013 4:20PM
The affects of Obamacare. work less.. Lets say less than 30hrs. No benefits....Hey but you feel better, so maybe you wont need benefits. In America the majority of couples are working because they can't afford not to. Taxed to high and basic expenses food, rent, utilities, insurances etc. make it so. Some even work 7 days and or multiple jobs just to make it. Europe is not America.
The timing of 'work less' is better for you is a way to change the American worker. Why. Obamacare can't work unless everybody pays into it. That is why the administration is spending millions to hire students to spread the word at educational facilities that it is in their best interests to enroll and their parents. And if you work less your employer does not have to supply benefits. (Oh the web they weave) Its just a way to force the public to join a doomed plan. Remember the boasting and cheering he got from college and university students BHO got when he said all of you will have insurance to age 26. It was a bold faced lie. I know from first hand experience. There will be over 30+ million people still without insurance. So, what happens when insurance companies and employers stop offering dependent insurance (by the way that has already started). Where do you get insurance? You got it the government. Insurance companies will have to raise rates due to less enrollment. What happens when insured employees premiums get to high? You guessed it the government insurance. The employer will pay the penalty its cheaper. Where will additional funds come from? Medicare, where 100's of billions of dollars have been stolen, I mean taken. The timing makes real sense doesn't it. With 10,000 people retiring a day and will be on Medicare, what do you think will happen to Medicare Insurance? (yes I said insurance not entitlement) You got it broke. Also Insurance companies are not required to offer dependent insurance policies. However if they do the must cover dependents to age 26. BUT EMPLOYERS DONT HAVE TO BUY THOSE POLICIES.

wes rowlands (Sephiroth Prime)
Jul 10, 2013 6:00PM
Most don't want to work 40 hours but you need to in order to afford anything and get health care.

Someone
Jul 10, 2013 4:35PM
I always thought that with computers, e-mail, cell phones, Skype, we would be free from alot of busy work. However, I noticed just the opposite effect. We now work more, longer, and harder, than ever.
These modern, technological enhancements were supposed to free up more time for me, not take it away. Hell, you can't even escape by going to the bathroom lest someone calls you on your cell phone or texts you, or e-mails you!
Think about it folks, you can be contacted and you can communicate back while you are taking a dump!! Something definitely wrong here!

SVLemur
Jul 10, 2013 4:25PM
I don't even remember when I worked ONLY 40 hours....or ONLY 5 days per week either.
Maybe it's a Silicon Valley thing, but they take 24/7 availability very literally here, with laptops and smartphones, there is no true time off.
Since almost everyone is salaried, we are expected, or required, to do whatever it takes.
I cannot help but think entire company's profitability is an illusion, as they get vast number of incremental hours for no incremental pay. Distorts the true costs.
After layoffs in 2008, the survivers absorbed that workload, as it wasn't like there was a lack of work, just an opportunity to reduce headcount cost and no one dared complain.
As things recover, reinforcements are near imposible to get approved, we all just work longer hours.
Oh, and Vacations/Sick-leave/PTO are a thing of the past here as well.

truthbtold136
Jul 10, 2013 1:49PM
Say it ain't so! they want to cut my web-surfing time???

Darthawk
Jul 10, 2013 12:53PM

If I only worked 40 hours a week I would think I was on vacation

BeeInKC9
Jul 10, 2013 11:10AM
Tim Ferris promised us a four hour workweek. Just find a job and then get a guy in India to do it.

Brutus625
Jul 9, 2013 5:12PM
We already have a shorter workweek, thanks to a couple of generations of workers who on the whole, have no clue what 8 hours per day of actual work is. Too many roll in 10 minutes late, take 90 minute lunch breaks, spend at least 15 minutes every hour checking their gadgets and social media and then slip out a few minutes early. Then they go home and opine about how hard they work and lament about their stagnant wages. They miss a half a day of work for a single medical appointment that takes less than 2 hours. And they spend about 10 hours a week at work shopping online, playing games or just surfing the web. Give me a break.
At this point, if you need to get 40 hours of productivity out of many people, you gotta schedule them for 60 hours.
Less

isWalmartreallyaperson
Jul 9, 2013 5:40PM
Since 1996, Republicans have attempted to end/repeal the 40 hour work week and overtime pay protection at least 5 DIFFERENT times.
2013- Republicans once again push a bill to attempt to end the 40 hour work week protection and end overtime pay. Democrats defeated it.
Along with protecting job outsourcing and preventing 'insourcing' legislation, see the RethugliKKKlan war against American workers and against good wages here at home?

Danny___H
Jul 10, 2013 1:32PM
OK, what is work? If you live on a farm and have to do everything yourself to support yourself, how many hours are you working? 10? 20? 40? 80?
OK, now you take a job from an employer. Your effort has value and then you are paid a wage based on the value of what you do. If you want to work 40 hours for that value, you get that wage. If you want to only work 30, then why should you get the last 25% of your wage? If you don't spend the times, you shouldn't get the dimes.
Again, if you are not contributing to creating value in a job, you are not deserving of the pay.

farside
Jul 10, 2013 11:27AM
I've traveled quit a bit, read about it and have found this interesting for some time. Europe has settled for less income in exchange for fewer hours. In the 50s & 60's economist predicted that Europe's per capita income would converge with the US per capita income. But the reverse has happened, its diverged. The biggest factor are the hours worked each work. If you want a lower standard of living along with more time off, either find jobs which will accommodate that wish or move to Europe; but you cant have your cake and eat it too!

Mike T
Aug 18, 2013 10:03PM
Ah, heck, I farm, so I'm working 32-40 hours at a regular job to pay for parts and fuel, then working another 80 plus on the farm running equipment, wrenching and lubing machinery, putting up hay, planting and harvesting crops, etc.
And I really wouldn't have it any other way. Farming is my life.
It'd be nice if I didn't have to work almost full time on the side to have a snowball's chance in hell of keeping the electricity on, or at least not out for more than a day or two at a time, but that's another story entirely...

Tyrone Townsend
Aug 10, 2013 5:21PM
This is not a sales pitch it`s a solution, with no strings attached .www.mmb60tyescircle34.com

Tyrone Townsend
Aug 10, 2013 5:14PM
The majority has spoken!! We all know that some are required more hours a week because they are on salary!! Granted, if those who are required to work these long hours are working for very little in return, don`t you think it`s time to start looking out for you and your family, and find your solution to that problem? Don`t you want to spend quite time at home with your family? Don`t you want to go on a vacation with your family? Hard work is essential when directed toward an obtainable goal and a lot of very intelligent people here on this forum have worked hard all their lives, but it`s time to work smart!!

TalkingPoints
Jul 30, 2013 5:57PM
These past 40 years we've witnessed the dramatic rise of the two-income household — first to "liberate" work-at-home Moms, later by necessity — a trend that now, as a result of greater specialization, fewer jobs and more outsourcing, is an unseen driver of economic decline. A combination of allowing or encouraging people to retire earlier and enabling families to keep an adult at home and still make ends meet would go a long way toward rebalancing the workforce. For the past decade, by contrast, it would appear the labor-to-wages ratio has gone way off kilter, which may help explain why the economy has yet to rebound.
In effect, there are too many people chasing a smaller piece of pie. Either the pie needs to grow or the number of people who are in hot pursuit of the same slice needs to decline. If better jobs/wages meant that two-income households continued to be the norm, it wouldn't be a long-term solution (prices would only go up, landing us back at square one). But if better wages could somehow be combined with incentives for people to retire or work at home, the American workforce might align with the reality of technology and globalization, striking a better work-life balance for families the process.

AirThief
Jul 10, 2013 6:38PM
Of course 40 hours is too long. The company has to give you benefits if you work 40. Why the hell would they want to do that?

Ninersrock16
Jul 10, 2013 5:50PM
Unfortunately, America's greed has led to longer and longer work weeks. Why? Can you really survive on a 32 hour a week pay check? When employees work over 40 or over 40 hours, what do they want? Time and half pay or double time. Yes, America needs to find a balance between work and family. However, our luxuries (cars, cell phones, IPADS, laptops, etc.) have dictated that we need money and the only way to get money is to work more hours. I am a salaried employee but have invested in time management and organizational skills. I am foruntate that I put in less than an 8 hour day but that is because I get all my work done by meeting deadlines for all of my projects, including interruptions. American's need to decide what we really want: a bigger pay check or more family-leisure time!!

JesterJim
Jul 10, 2013 5:27PM
Great - All I see is a chance for the boss to cut my hours without a pay increase so that I make less. While I get more free time, I guess my bills will fall to the wayside. nice...

Jack Kinch (1uncle)
Jul 10, 2013 4:06PM
Sounds like still more inflation near. Dollar cheapened more. Use instead of coal.

NCTAXMAN
Jul 10, 2013 3:57PM
Perhaps the upcoming Obamacare will make a shorter workweek a reality?

badcongress
Jul 10, 2013 3:46PM
They were partially correct --- if you"re in congress (they don't deserve a big "c").
As recently as 1965, a Senate subcommittee predicted we would be working 14 hours a week by the year 2000, with at least seven weeks of vacation time. Look at their 2013 and 2014 calendars.

Andyb.
Jul 10, 2013 2:44PM
'...and had never needed before," '
'...That we didn't and don't need, just convinced that we do.' - fixed that for ya.

myDrain
Jul 10, 2013 2:28PM
Like we have a choice? Tell your boss you ain't going to work 40 hours/week and see how long you keep your job! As if "oh boy, I want to work for as little as possible for as many hours as you will give me," not!

thnkaboutit
Jul 10, 2013 11:34AM
The affects of Obamacare. work less.. Lets say less than 30hrs. No benefits....Hey but you feel better, so maybe you wont need benefits. In America the majority of couples are working because they can't afford not to. Taxed to high and basic expenses food, rent, utilities, insurances etc. make it so. Some even work 7 days and or multiple jobs just to make it. Europe is not America.
The timing of 'work less' is better for you is a way to change the American worker. Why. Obamacare can't work unless everybody pays into it. That is why the administration is spending millions to hire students to spread the word at educational facilities that it is in their best interests to enroll and their parents. And if you work less your employer does not have to supply benefits. (Oh the web they weave) Its just a way to force the public to join a doomed plan. Remember the boasting and cheering he got from college and university students BHO got when he said all of you will have insurance to age 26. It was a bold faced lie. I know from first hand experience. There will be over 30+ million people still without insurance. So, what happens when insurance companies and employers stop offering dependent insurance (by the way that has already started). Where do you get insurance? You got it the government. Insurance companies will have to raise rates due to less enrollment. What happens when insured employees premiums get to high? You guessed it the government insurance. The employer will pay the penalty its cheaper. Where will additional funds come from? Medicare, where 100's of billions of dollars have been stolen, I mean taken. The timing makes real sense doesn't it. With 10,000 people retiring a day and will be on Medicare, what do you think will happen to Medicare Insurance? (yes I said insurance not entitlement) You got it broke. Also Insurance companies are not required to offer dependent insurance policies. However if they do the must cover dependents to age 26. BUT EMPLOYERS DONT HAVE TO BUY THOSE POLICIES.

Jim-Wellington
Jul 10, 2013 2:50PM
Some workers do work much less than 40 hrs a week but expect that full paycheck! Another sign of our troubled nation! We expect everything for NOTHING! We don't want to take responsibility for our actions or work for our needs. Some else will provide everything - just pick the money off the tree in the backyard.

A Sharp
Jul 10, 2013 1:16PM
If you truly want to be successful & financially free, then you have to put in more than just 40 hr./wk. If you're self employed, you already know this. If you work for others, you will not, at least not until you retire - that mode of thinking belongs back in the 70's. For those that do work for others, I really hope that Obama care won't erode your hours & pay but business's WILL DO WHAT THEY MUST to survive. And some of you will see your hours cut to 20-25 /wk. You'll have to get another PT job just to make ends meet - and forget about investing or putting a little away for retirement - You'll have to spend every dollar just to keep a roof over your head and food on the table.
So that 4 day work week is not what it seems if you crunch some numbers for your living expenses & retirement - unless you want to work until you drop dead- and that's not a plan at all.

Chuckclc
Jul 10, 2013 1:53PM
Many people would give their left hand for 40 hour work weeks. And now people wanna pretend its a lot. A 40 hour work week almost feels like a week off to me. Most salaried workers is this Country work 50-80 hours a week. I know as a restaurant GM i never worked less then 60. Just an excuse to make the USA lazier as our culture changes.

truthbtold136
Jul 10, 2013 1:43PM
And this is why illegal immigration will never go away, man we are becoming lazier by the minute!

RNM2009
Jul 10, 2013 10:55AM
In the Obama economy, either you are working 45-60 hours a week to struggle to survive or you're one of the leeches sucking off the gov't watching Jerry Springer all day.

geitzig
Jul 10, 2013 9:30AM
From these comments , it appears that people that work are working more hours per week and those that don't expect these workers to work even more so that they can continue to live on welfare.

VICIOUS MISANTHROPE HATING FOR SPORT
Jul 10, 2013 12:29PM
Yes the 40hr work week is too long ...... but the 30hr paycheck is too small, Goldilocks!
That reminds me of a community organizer who thought he could force the wealthy and big business to supply free healthcare for 40 million people who are NONCONTRIBUTING members of this society ......... well he got his reward for 30 million of them ........... but ended up having at least another 30 million THAT WERE PAYING TAXES put on part time employment, the power of stupidity!

amf140
Jul 10, 2013 3:44PM
This article is totally misleading. It sounds like you can work 15 hours a week and get the same pay. Europeans can't take all their vacation because they only get paid for the hours they work and that's less than 40 per week. Please: free health care and free college. Someone is paying for that. They are because their taxes are so high. When government gives you something for free - believe that it is not free.
Most of the Europeans i know would gladly trade to have our work environment. No overtime and less hours. They want to get ahead - but are stifled. Plus their system creates and rewards laggards.
Come over and visit and you'll see.

Comp-U-Brain
Jul 10, 2013 1:46PM
Yes, a reassessment each five years and option to choose 2 lower levels of hours, like 35 and 32 or stay with 40 would be one idea. It helps the liquidity of the employment opportunity pool as well. One of the things they keep missing is the enormous amount of money that could be pulled from that which we spend on alcohol (mostly the abusive), as a nation, that could be used for healthier things such as maintaining prisons and prison conditions at a minimum lawful level would be advisable.

Cybercraig
Jul 10, 2013 11:09AM
If you want to retire early you have got to put in the hours! Who wants to work till they are dead? I think 62 is a great age to retire!

subnormal88
Jul 10, 2013 10:48AM
The basic truth is that if we worked less we would make less. If you are paid hourly your pay check is going to be smaller at 32 hours a week than it was at 40 hours a week. As far as vacations go, I guess it depends on what you plan on doing. If you are going on a family vacation then you need money to do that. Making less but having more vacation does not mean that you will travel more.
As far as CEO pay goes, what they make does not have much if anything to do with what the employees make.
Like the lottery it is all a numbers game. Look at how fast the lottery increases in value. This is based on a $1.00 or $2.00 ticket.
CEO pay is similar. Having more time off would be nice, it would be even better if I had more money to enjoy it with.
As far as outsourcing goes, that was one of those trends started by the colleges. It is very true that if more people had money to spend, then more people would purchase products. Of course the people working would have to want to be productive. That is something that many people have lost.

The More You Know6
Jul 15, 2013 6:44PM
They are comparing socialist countries with Capitalist US. They are not the same, although it does seem as if the US is heading down the socialist road as of late so maybe they are right to compare the two.

Jack Kinch (1uncle)
Jul 10, 2013 4:15PM
Many of the comments here are unrealistic. Some of these things have already driven many good paying middle income jobs overseas. Will eliminate more jobs as demos allow more aliens into the country for the jobs that are left. Time to be practical and not in a dream world.

J M (SpeakingDaTruth)
Jul 9, 2013 4:39PM

@MirageGuy, LOL (but true). Like to saying goes "Why work, vote for a Democrat!"

midwest resident
Jul 10, 2013 12:54PM
reasons why people work from person who is 66 and has worked since age 9!
work is the opium of the masses a body in motion stays in motion there is something to be said about having an effective, creative day self-worth can be and is at times associated with work duh...payday off your butt and on your feet, you have to work if you wanna eat (unless of course you are on SNAP or some other form of progressive 'safety net. there are always jobs, just some consider them beneath thier station in life??????

Mad tipper
Jul 10, 2013 3:46PM
I bet half of the people posting on this are sitting at their desk while on their employers dime....
Hey, who wouldn't want 6 weeks vacation and 30 days sick time each year while still getting 14 holidays? However, this costs money folks.
Most businesses are not huge, they do not have 30 billion sitting in the bank, they do not outsource to China, and the owners sometimes make less than their employees while working twice as hard just to get by.
If you force 'greedy businesses' to change across the board, you will kill off many small to mid sized businesses.
If you want change, then come up with compelling, well thought out proposals that have numbers behind them. Not made up numbers, but hard well considered numbers to back your proposal.
Calculate how it will impact a family that gets its hours slashed, how it will impact a business if it has to hire twice as many new employees (hint, 1/2 employee+ 1/2 employee does not equal 1 full employee, its actually more due to taxes, insurance costs, etc...).
Calculate how much the business will have to raise prices to offset these costs to stay in business and then calculate how this in turn will impact the workers who likely will HAVE to make less due to working half as much.
Come back with hard numbers and YOUR solution and we can talk.

You_heard_that_right
Jul 10, 2013 3:52PM
40 hours too much?! Please! If we could get everyone to actually work 40 hours each week (at least the hours they bill), we could cut the workforce nationwide by at least 20%.
There's nothing better than to hear people wanting to work less, and yet expecting to get paid the same for it. Even more laughable, to actually advance.

Dewey Kerr
Jul 9, 2013 6:19PM
Poor baby I worked 12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week for 37 years as a Millwright.

krazykyle
Jul 10, 2013 3:25PM
When they say 40 hour work week, most people at my job that are salaried take advantage of this. When they say "8-5" they take it more of a "8:30-4:30" or 9:00-5. People are just lazy and I believe most employers should stand firm in the 40-hour work week. Give someone an inch and they will take it a mile and making them work only 32 hours wont fix any problems and will only cost the company in the long run.

Alias Barry Soetoro
Jul 9, 2013 4:31PM
"Regal" man - We also all know you are a fake , fraud , made up persona caught using at least 5 different alias's ALL hailing Papa Doc!
Nothing suspicious there!
All the made up persona's were surprise, extremely wealthy, lefty, Obuma lovers !
All successful, with huge masses of wealth either by shrewd investing or by creating wealth through a company you stated from scratch !
It's extremely believable, judging by your writing skills , vocabulary and obvious IQ !
Oouch
Big right hand ---- DOWN goes Frazier

BRENT THE PENSIONER 2014
Jul 9, 2013 5:02PM
Folks, do you notice when I beat Barry on point after point he leaves?Down goes Barry !

isWalmartreallyaperson
Jul 9, 2013 6:10PM
Wage-Free-Market capitalism is so DESTRUCTIVE that it WILL change demographics and usher in a new American majority.
Capitalism is national suicide.
Walmart/Rethug low wages = RECORD LOW BIRTH RATES THAT AGE US.
National suicide.

Not Shown (DaveUSA)
Jul 10, 2013 6:02PM

Under Obama, you came have a zero hour work week and still make pretty good money and benefits.

citizensane
Jul 9, 2013 11:22PM
Europeans have a healthier lifestyle. Americans would do well to take a page form their book on careers.

BRENT THE PENSIONER 2014
Jul 9, 2013 5:09PM
Mirage guy;Inmates can`t vote.Maybe in your crazy state some can.The rich make sure they vote.The middle class votes maybe 50% and the poor have given up and usually don`t vote.If the common man voted we wouldn`t have corporate welfare and tax breaks for the rich.If you were a man you`ll admit you`re wrong.

Alias Barry Soetoro
Jul 9, 2013 4:44PM
I don't need a bull market to be able to buy and sell you multiple times over.
See my wealth is real, yours is all made up !

geberus
Jul 9, 2013 10:48PM
If I work I get paid. If I don't work I should get paid from your wages. Thank you

BRENT THE PENSIONER 2014
Jul 9, 2013 4:53PM
Barry, if you had money you would have got out of rat infested NY like my in-laws did. They would look down their noses and say "Barry must live on TURD Street".

BRENT THE PENSIONER 2014
Jul 9, 2013 5:29PM
Mabel4444: I have a wife, but I could use an extra.If you got the curves, I got the angles.

psychedout
Jul 9, 2013 6:26PM
I don't work. It's so much nicer to not have to work and just live life large. Poor people have to work. Poor people are too busy working and making a living to actually make any money. Poor people have to make goods and services for people like me who just go on a life long vacation who's only job is to consume the goods and services you working class create. We make sure you can't stop working so we wealthy can always have cheap goods and services. A living wage? Retirement? An education to get wealthy? You don't need it. We like things just the way it is. You working and we consuming. Ah...life is good when you're wealthy.

Taxpayer 1
Jul 9, 2013 4:56PM
"While Americans settle for two weeks of vacation or none at all, their forbears and European neighbors continue to shake their heads in bewilderment at a workforce that puts in so much time for so little."
I grew up an average Joe. I now have 2 homes( 1 on a 2,000 acre lake), 20 acres of hunting land, 3 boats, 2 Jetskis, 4 cars, the best healthcare, and 2 kids in college ( on scholarship too). I would like to see how an average Jack in Europe stacks up. But I only get 4 weeks of vacation time to their 8. They can have their socialism. Equal results is for the below average smucks....like regalboy.

BRENT THE PENSIONER 2014
Jul 9, 2013 5:32PM
GO away lefty;Did Rush give those stupid ideas or was it Dennis Rodman?Either way, you`re 100% wrong.Keep listening to Fox and reading the National Inquirer.

BRENT THE PENSIONER 2014
Jul 9, 2013 4:48PM
Barry, if you weren`t so broke you shouldhave come to Akron in May and I`ll show
you my portfolio.You could also admire my 3 piece suit and Church shoes.

BRENT THE PENSIONER 2014
Jul 9, 2013 4:39PM
Barry, we know you missed the bull market.That makes you jealous,bitter and hateful.
That`s hard to handle.If you were fair you`ll give Obama all
getting a car or house or woman with no money. kinds of credit for the Dow
being up 88% BEFORE DIVIDENDS.Of course, you say money isn`t important.Try

BRENT THE PENSIONER 2014
Jul 9, 2013 4:25PM
Mirage Guy;Still pushing your hate agenda.Don`t act like you`re objective.We all know you`re a hatefull Log Cabin Republican.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Unread postby RatPak11 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:11 pm

http://money.msn.com/investing/post--wh ... ur-workday

What happened to the 6-hour workday?

Studies show a shorter workweek leads to happier, more productive employees. But the US seems to have no interest.
By The Week Dec 16, 2013 1:51PM

In 1930, the economist John Maynard Keynes famously predicted that by 2030, the workweek would shrink to as little as 15 hours.

As living standards and wages rose in progressive countries, he suggested, people would choose to work less and enjoy more leisure time.

Granted, 2030 is still about 16 years off, but it's probably safe to say that Keynes missed the mark. Though our living standards have risen as he suggested, the workweek in the U.S. has lingered at around 40 hours (though the gap among workers is wide).

This has happened despite a lot of evidence -- and even real-life experiments -- showing that a shorter workweek leads not only to more satisfied workers but to higher productivity.

As Lauren Davidson points out in Quartz, in 1930, K.W. Kellogg, of Corn Flakes fame, instituted a six-hour workday and a 12.5 percent pay raise -- resulting in more hires (which the country desperately needed at that moment) and only a small drop in individual pay. As Davidson says, this initially proved "immensely popular" with employees.

If satisfaction sounds like a secondary concern, it's worth noting that workweeks also correlate with higher productivity, as The Economist shows in this chart of OECD nations. "The Greeks are some of the most hardworking in the OECD, putting in over 2,000 hours a year on average," it says. "Germans, on the other hand, are comparative slackers, working about 1,400 hours each year. But German productivity is about 70 percent higher."

Studies over the past half century have shown that productivity caps out at eight hours for manual laborers and even less for "knowledge workers" -- those who sit at desks and deal with words and data. Such workers generally churn out only about five to six "good, productive hours of hard mental work" a day, says Sara Robinson in Salon. "After six hours, all (the boss has) really got left is a butt in a chair."

So with all this data supporting less work, what happened to Keynes' idea? Why aren't we spending more time playing golf and goofing around with our kids?

Theories abound. When it came to the Kellogg experiment, between World War II and the late 1950s, "many workers, especially male employees, seem to have changed their tastes" when it came to six-hour workdays," Robert Whaples at Mr Zine wrote in a review of a book on the topic. In the '50s, a new management team arrived, one that may have tended to "denigrate and 'feminize' shorter hours."
They became embarrassed by the short hours that they were working -- shorter than the shifts worked by men at other local jobs. They changed their rhetoric, downplaying the freedom that leisure gave.

Six-hour workdays wouldn't let them keep up with the Joneses, and many men did not receive much enjoyment from their marginal leisure hours. "Like management, senior male workers were concerned about the loss of status and control. Several men told about the friction that resulted when the men spent too much time around the house: "The wives didn't like the men underfoot all day." "The wife always found something for me to do if I hung around." "We got into a lot of fights." Many of the men confessed that they were at loose ends when they were working six hours. [Mr Zine]
By 1985, every department had returned to eight-hour days.

The Economist points out that higher wages might actually have the reverse effect of what Keynes predicted. Higher earnings may entice people to work even harder.
One important question concerns whether appetite for work actually diminishes as people earn more. There are countervailing effects. On the one hand, a higher wage raises the opportunity cost of leisure time and should lead people to work more. On the other hand, a higher income should lead a worker to consume more of the stuff he or she enjoys, which presumably includes leisure. [The Economist]
Both explanations seem plausible, but another theory seems to hit a little closer to home. "Keynes' big failure was to recognise that distribution matters," Larry Elliot pointed out in The Guardian.Those who make the lowest wages, and are often paid by the hour, must work 40 hours a week -- often much more -- simply to get by.

Meanwhile, many of those who make higher wages are faced with a different motivation to work long hours. "The gap between the top 1 percent of earners and the rest has widened, but so has the gap between the top 0.1 percent and the rest of those in the highest bracket," he explains.
Similarly, the gap has widened between the top-paid doctors and their fellows, and among all other sub-groups of society. Rich doctors spend more as they get richer, which leads to all other doctors wanting to spend more as well. Not all of them can afford to maintain the spending habits of their better-off peers, and as a result they borrow. The result, contrary to what Keynes may have imagined, has been a collapse in savings ratios in the US and Britain. Debt levels and bankruptcies have soared. [The Guardian]
In the end, it's only the very top -- the 0.1 percent -- who are spending their ample incomes on leisure time.

For the rest of us, there's always Workaholics Anonymous.

Comments:

PlutoIsAPlanet
Dec 16, 2013 2:29PM
How about ten hour workdays, four days a week. I love three day weekends!

OR705
Dec 16, 2013 2:36PM
Maybe it's because a good portion of U.S. employers are having their employee's doing the work of two people, that way the 23 to 28 million Americans that cant find work still struggle. They live on the premise of, why should we pay wages and benefits for two, when we can do it for one. If they don't like it, we can go look under a bridge for their replacement.

Q Tip Assassin
Dec 16, 2013 2:29PM
Where's the 6 hour workday? It got multipled by two and implemented.

robin1620
Dec 16, 2013 3:18PM
Employers don't give a blip about your happiness. A worker today produces 4 times that of his counterpart in the 1950s. Who got all the benefit? Business owners, wall street, the rich, the government. Workers got the shaft: lower pay, less or no health insurance, no pensions, no vacation. The rich love the new America.

SmoKerch
Dec 16, 2013 3:02PM
When I was in elementary school in the 60s, we were told that productivity would be so high when we hit the work force, that people would only have to work three days a week. What a laugh. I know people working six or seven days because their employer dictates as such. Sixty and seventy hour week are common when there is no representation.

SAM HAIN
Dec 16, 2013 2:31PM
And computers were going to get rid all paper and we would work less and get more done. But with computers we can do more, get more information that no one thought was possible. The world of tomorrow through the eyes of today will always be science fiction.

Stewart Piddas
Dec 16, 2013 2:44PM
One up-side to the six-hour work day would be that we might actually be able to make a dent in the unemployment rate. Just a thought...

Max3737
Dec 16, 2013 3:55PM
Obamacare converted it to the 29 hour work week

mike west (Stop whinning...)
Dec 16, 2013 3:43PM

"How about the 0 hour work day for the 111 million freeloading, welfare or "disabled.""
lol

I know several people that are "disabled" because they are too fucin fat.

WMK
Dec 16, 2013 5:19PM
I wonder how many of these posters are at work as they post?

Someone (cookcrazy123)
Dec 16, 2013 3:12PM
Government Job

nodemorats
Dec 16, 2013 2:39PM
This is really amusing. Most of the "employees" only work about six hours a day now. Especially union azzhats. Come to work at 8 AM and stand around BSing for 15 min. Bathroom break at 9 AM for 15 min. Union break at 10 AM. Go back to work at 10.20. Bathroom break at 11 AM. for 10 min. 11:45 AM get ready to go to lunch at 12:00. Return to work at 1:15 PM. Bathroom break at 2:15 PM for 10 min. Union break at 3 PM. Back to work at 3:20 PM. Bathroom break at 4:00 PM. for 10 min. Get ready for end of day at 4:45. Haul azz at 4:55. Total time worked about 5 hours and 45 min. If you think this is bull, just set back and watch for a couple of days. I had employees for 45 years and have seen it all.

Jeremy12341
Dec 16, 2013 3:20PM
6 hour work days, I'd always be behind and so would the other 2 on the team. :(
8 hours isn't even enough. Been doing over time several weeks to get ahead.
Unless they hired more people. And it wouldn't be nice on my pay check either unless they made up for it with wage increase.

subnormal88
Dec 16, 2013 2:50PM
Having more leisure time would be great, but with more leisure time comes more costs. How do you balance, the savings for future, the cost of day to day living, and the pursuit of leisure activities. To me it is like how many licks does it take to get to the center of the tootsie pop..

Someone
Dec 16, 2013 5:03PM
coming soo the 5.75 hour day. you will get paid only for the time you work. businesses will have to do this to stay open after obamacare....

Dec 16, 2013 5:49PM
"Obamacare converted it to the 29 hour work week"
which really is the real reason you won't hear on this shill site for Ofucuscare

demonslayar194
Dec 16, 2013 4:59PM
We do twice or more then the amount of work that was done in the 70s. adjusted for inflation, we get half the pay.
This is not by chance. the hidden rich want you to suffer, they want to keep you quite by making you poorer. They enjoy the
control they have over you. and they especially appreciate it when you stick up for corporations.

Now be a good little slave and read some other article designed to make you think everything is just fine and dandy.

davenotwendysdave
Dec 16, 2013 3:50PM
Keynesian economics will fail everytime, as has been proven by the French and their 32 hour work week of non-productivity,and near- bankruptcy. The Greeks forgot about being the birth place of democracy and allowed socialism to destroy and bankrupt them. Oblammer is a socialist who felt the need to take taxpayer money and do an unsuccessful stimulus, no shovel-ready jobs as he admitted too, so long to Solindra and other "Green" companies that took the money and ran into bankruptcy. GM is a 10.5 billion dollar bust to taxpayers after the government sold their shares for less than market value, so the" Great One" can espouse how he saved Detroit, oops they are now bankrupt, and the auto industry. I bet PBS, CBS, ABC, CNN, PMSNBC or Al Jaizeera did not accurately tell you what the outcome of the GM deal was, they just talk about what a great socialist, propagandist our Despot and Chief is. Did any of us taxpayers get a dividend on our investment in GM? Ford did not take any of Oblammers funny money and they are doing quite well and I believe Ford is a union shop. It is time for congress to grow a pair and start removal proceedings against our falsely elected Emperor. He is using line item vetoes with Obamacare, he cannot simply rewrite the bill to suit his cronies, only congress can do that. He swore to uphold the Constitution, instead he has usurped it, violated it and acts as if if is null and void. All impeachable offenses.

V_L
Dec 17, 2013 7:44AM
Every GEEZER is going to complain and rant because the article features Keynes.
What you don't realize is happening... so many of us were mass terminated in 2007-08 BUT we are the ones with the skill sets, abilities and intellectual property. Proof-- no economy SINCE 2008 but a growing mounting MASSIVE QE and derivatives obligation we cannot possibly outrun. The able work multiple jobs now. I have several hats myself. I operate enterprises. I can make a phone call and get more able people to temporarily divert from their multiple jobs and help when necessary.
THIS economy will crash in 2014. Odds are that salaries, set wages and fixed income entitlements will be victims. What else do you have other than your zombie presence pushing paper or buttons? It will matter.

Dec 16, 2013 2:58PM
indolence and apathy are rampant in our society and this is just another sign of it.

DaveV1968
Dec 16, 2013 4:18PM
Simple. Rather than share the profits, the executives have kept all the wealth. Instead of increasing employees' pay and shortening their hours, executives have lined their pockets. Even investors are being short-changed by the greed of executives thanks to decreased dividends.

dave1230
Dec 17, 2013 8:43AM
Some out of Touch folks that talk Jobs, the ACA, and WAGES, most have never kept track of actual Employment numbers and JOB types over the last Decade or more. If they had any minimal understanding of what Drove Jobs then and now, most would crawl back under their Rock, too embarrassed to speak again. Yet because America has been so dumbed down, folks not only allows such stupidity, they even recommend it.

Wazit2ya
Dec 16, 2013 7:42PM
Does the word "G R E E D" ring a bell??

driller one
Dec 16, 2013 5:24PM
I believe some European countries are enjoying short work week, see how that work. In the mean time the way the economy is moving here in the good USofA you might get those hours and be glad you have them and also you will be starving. Gone is the American dream ........

Love The Glamour Of A Bygone Era
Dec 16, 2013 3:42PM
The last place I worked at before we moved, was a 4 hour work day. Two women worked each day, splitting the day in half. I always worked Saturday afternoons to give the moms time with their families. I love those hours! I would be willing to work 6 days a week if it meant only having to work 4 hour days.

Rip043
Dec 16, 2013 4:47PM
I have worked in the new house construction business as a "punch-out" who does minor repair to new houses to close a sale.
It is a 6 hour per day work to my surprise as most work starts at 9am and stops at 3pm daily.
If you don't believe me check out most new home construction sites and you will see no work being done after 3pm.

VIRGIL II
Dec 17, 2013 1:04AM
All are government workers decided that 6 hours was too much, so now put in 3-4!

B C (bcap2bcap2)
Dec 16, 2013 7:30PM
The change will come sooner that you think. With Obamacare and other programs that continue to lower the number of hours worked per work to qualify as "full time" employers will also continue to shorten work weeks. They will have twice as many employees performing the same work load to keep the full time ranks low. In the long run this will save corporations big bucks and put more and more folks into poverty. How is that $15 minimum wage sounding now?

WCBIII
3 hours ago
Keynes also thought you could spur economic activity by having the government basically pay half the country to dig a hole and the other half to fill it up. I wouldn't exactly call him an economic genius despite how many people worship at the alter of his economic philosophies.

all-that
Tue 7:55 PM
Keynes was wrong about everything else.
What makes anyone think he would get the length of the work week correct?

poorman7570
Sat 6:11 PM
My boss only expects me to work half a day. 6:00 to 6:00 LOL

Tarpaper
Dec 20, 2013 10:41AM
Hate labor unions and then you hate you job with no benefits? You are stupid.

Christopher
Dec 18, 2013 10:54AM
six hour days are coming..along with companies no longer offering health insurance. vacations, sick days or retirement.....corporations are passing all of the costs to the taxpayer

doc365
Dec 16, 2013 4:40PM
Most of the people are being paid so low that they want and need a 12 hour day..

An Eagle
Dec 17, 2013 1:27AM
Keynes = The biggest economic fraudster EVER. He just had a more than willing audience in government by offering them new ways to screw with the economy.
Yeah --- we have succeeded in spite of the Keynesian policy implementations by having BOTH spouses working 40+ hours per week.
This is starting to smell like climate change. That G.D. climate has been changing for millions of years. Just like the business cycles, WE MUST FIND A WAY TO STOP IT !
That will be a day of reckoning that will make the 60 year Keynesian experiment look like DISNEY WORLD.

Lucky667
Dec 16, 2013 8:09PM
If Obama gets his wish the government will be handing out checks to everyone and nobody works... I will say that there are countries who have tried that and all have failed. In America a few cities have tried something similar and are in or near bankruptcy. I don't think Obama knows that! Anyone care to let him know?

woof maddog
Dec 17, 2013 12:49AM
The second paragraph of this article is telling. Keynes saw the standard of living rising and real wages rising. The anonymous author does not consider the effect of INFLATION. The standard of living most certainly rose after World War II because government spending shrank sharply while the manufacturing infrastructure was in place, needing only to switch from military to civilian production.
The Vietnam War put the U.S. into permanent annual deficits. President Nixon refused to make real spending cuts, and took us off the gold standard so that bigger and bigger deficits could be authorized by Congress. Inflation shot up in the 1970's, reaching 14.7% annualized in 1980. Fed Chief Paul Volcker rebalanced the economy with high interest rates in the early 1980's, but President Reagan ran even higher deficits in winning the Cold War.
President Bill Clinton made Social Security part of the federal budget to fake budget balance for a few years, then Fed Chief Alan Greenspan pushed his interest rate down to 1%. Clinton changed the Consumer Price Index so that it would report low inflation every month. President George W. Bush watched the infamous housing/financial bubble grow and collapse. Then both he and President Obama agreed to bail out the big banks at taxpayer's expense, while Fed Chief Ben Bernanke pushed his interest rate all the way to 0%.
This is how extreme debt and inflation (which is not even acknowledged by the government anymore) drives up the cost of living and the cost of doing business. The standard of living of many Americans has been trending downward all century long.
This is the real reason why most Americans don't have the luxury of a short work week. Many of us are not even employed steadily, so getting work hours is itself precious! Moreover, Obama Care encourages employers to hire professionals as hourly contractors.
That the author misses the important underlying cause is maddening!

BH8352
Dec 16, 2013 3:36PM
One boss told me...."we work half days around here. I don't care what you do with the other 12 hours." Thankfully he was joking. Anway Keynes was a fool! He had a good idea of how fairytale economics work, they just didn't pan out in the real world.

WMK
Dec 16, 2013 5:09PM
How about being happy that you have a job? The person who wrote this article ought to get a prize for really dumb timing.

dainbramage56
Dec 16, 2013 5:01PM
KEYNES HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE A DIPSHYT

S THAMES
Dec 16, 2013 7:14PM
six hour work day is half a day

JP178
Dec 16, 2013 6:08PM
Capitalism will never allow a shortened work week.

BH8352
Dec 16, 2013 3:43PM
Keynes was a fool to believe that if in fact it was as you say his belief of the normal job work week! How many people can just walk up to their employer and say, I'll like you to cut my hours by xx%? Perhaps if you are an hourly worker, but what about salaried workers? Now I can say that I have reduced my work week in some ways. We now pay for someone else to do some auto repairs instead of me doing them all and we pay someone else to help clean the house instead of my wife doing it mostly and we both work full time jobs, usually greater than 40 hours per week. Time to write Keynes into the books as a fail!

K-e-v-i-n
Dec 16, 2013 4:24PM
I'd work 3 13-hour days to get my 40 in and take 4 days off. yes, that would be nice.

Dec 16, 2013 2:56PM
It's alive and well in Europe and if you believe that's great, FUCIN move.

LostOnEarth
Dec 16, 2013 4:57PM
Republicans love watching all their slaves work 150 hours per week and giving them 18 hours per week leisure time, only because they are so compassionate.

iefbr14
Dec 16, 2013 3:55PM
There was a time when I was paid by the hour, and it was up to me (within limits) to work as many or as few hours as I chose. My hourly rate was between $75-$85 an hour. What I found was that it made sense to spend $25 on lunch at my private club, eating a big meal there so I would not have to take time to make any more than a snack for dinner. And the opportunity cost of my time increased. When it got to be 6 or 7 in the evening, instead of going home and watching TV, I found myself thinking, "is this one-hour episode of [whatever] worth $80 for me to watch? Invariably, the answer was "no" and I stayed to bill more hours.

Someone (Bobfwayne)
Dec 16, 2013 2:47PM
The six hour "work" day is alive and well for the over pampered, overpaid, over perked, over pensioned, greedy, ungrateful, arrogant, left wing teachers infesting every government school in this crap country. Pay your taxes and shut up suckers.
RatPak11
Done That
Done That

Return to Employee Suggestions